Yellow Tang erratic swimming

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 26 Feb 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

There always seems to be something to worry about...:(

I noticed my Yellow Tang this morning and now this evening displaying some erratic swimming. Fins all out and short darting like movements. No signs of any illness that i can see. I notice its only when he is in one spot of the tank, my water clarity has become much clearer over the last few days due to change in carbon and i have recently cleaned my glass. Could it be he is seeing his own reflection in the glass and trying to attack an intruder in his territory? I have looked through the glass myself and see his reflection from the same angle he is at.

I have read a few threads online where ppl have said this is normal behaviour for tangs as they are a bit nuts?? My first so i dont know, is this normal or do i have something to worry about here? Btw I have just checked my parameters today and all are in check so i dont think it would be a water quality issue.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yip, you answer your question. To verify, put a mirror in the tank and see what happens.

4. tinusb

tinusb

Unfortunately I can only comment on 'are a bit nuts??'... DEFINATELY! My scopas is as crazy as can be... is in the front of the tank grazing, and then suddenly out of nowhere, realise I'm watching him, then hides behind the rocks like lightning! CRAAAAAAAAZY puppy... must take after it's owner :p :) Holding thumbs it's not something wrong with ur tang! :)

5. marine101

marine101

Its like those fish in finding nemo!

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Which fish in finding nemo? :whistling:

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I am pretty sure now its him trying to attack his reflection as he gets as close to the glass as he can and tries to take a swipe at it and its right at the entrance to his cave. Surely this isnt good for him? Wont he get stressed out, or will he eventually get used to it and calm down? Besides the fact he is blowing my substrate all over the place and making my tank look ugly :p

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

Yeah my lavender did the same. He used to darken up his face to near black and it was always on the right side of the tank. Its also that there was a light reflection there, so i put up a black backround there, was going to be doing it there anyway, and some algae grew over there anyway so it dulled the reflection, but if its one of your viewing panes you cant quite do the same

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Yip, its my front left side viewing pane so not sure what i can do other than wait for some algae to grow there. I've read that Tangs can be territorial and aggressive to other tangs, lol didnt know it was this bad.

10. Junz

Junz

thats normal.... mines does the same thing when my brother goes near the tank.
    its quite funny though.... you would think it knows the different people

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Maybe your brother did something to it once and it remembers him and wants his blood :p

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

:29::yeahdude:

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

lol a freddy kruger smiley :lol:

Recent Posts