Yellow tang difference

Reaction score
Hi all

Please could somebody tell me what the difference is between a Singapore yellow tang and one that comes from hawaii?

Thanks
Paul

Same species. Just different geographical location. They are also environmentally dependant on local conditions, so a Hawaii yellow tang might not survive in Singapore waters.

Yes, prices are ridiculous. Hawaii species are rarer as not many are caught, also they travel far greater distances, making their shipping much more expensive.

Last edited:
IMO two possibilities.

1) The sing "yellow tang" is a yellow scopa???
2) The sing "Yellow tang" is a juv ring eye tang "Mimic tang"

Last edited:
But they are not the same species. You get Z. Flavescens from both Hawaii and Singapore. The one in the article is a Z. Scopas

Last edited:
Paul did the tang look like this?

images

or this?

th

Last edited:
But they are not the same species. You get Z. Flavescens from both Hawaii and Singapore. The one in the article is a Z. Scopas

Hmmm, interesting Carlos...

The result of a lapse of concentration while doing some research and reading this thread simultaneously, lead me to input Z. scopas into a genbank BLAST sequence search instead of another species I wanted (the result of 3 weeks of 4 am all-nighters and possible coffee poisoning). Realizing it was wrong I quickly scrolled down just to get a quick look at the authors of the sequence etc.. I then stumbled on this gem!

According to this paper: PLOS ONE: Barcoding Nemo: DNA-Based Identifications for the Ornamental Fish Trade

Z. scopas and flavescens are actually a single species, based on genetic data. So what you are looking at is a phenotypically plastic species. That is to say, although these guys look like different species, they aren't. Their genes (in this case, mtCOI) suggest geneflow amongst Z. scopas and flavescens, which means they interbreed, and thus are a single species complex.

If you read the paper, in some cases, the exact opposite is observed, such as in the Valencia genus...

The paper is from PlOsOne, so it's free to download without license!

Really interesting.

Oh lfs sent me a pic of their "singapore". That's how I knew. Mimic lemonpeel tang, chocolate tang or Acanthurus Pyroferus. Really like it!

Wow, very interesting

Keith, I have not seen the fish as yet. A sponsor said they had in stock and wondered what the difference is?

I'm very keen on a yellow tang as addition to my tank but not sure on the singapore tang or what do others think.

Will have to look at fish first I suppose

Paul just take a snap shot of the fish and post here. The guys will quickly tell you which type of tang it is. The mimic will be the cheaper one. If it is a mimic.

The sponsor could also give you the scientific name to clear things up.

Last edited:
Adult Mimic lemonpeel tang or chocolate tang or Acanthurus Pyroferus

Chockolate_zps6ad48a45.jpg

As an adult it is a very beautiful fish. Not a flashy as a Yellow tang, a bit more shy. But one of my favorite fish.

What size tank do Paul have?

The Chocolate tang is less out and about than the Blond Naso and Sailfin. Tends to stick around to the lower right of the tank. But I reckon minimum a 1.2m tank.

What size tank do Paul have?

The Chocolate tang is less out and about than the Blond Naso and Sailfin. Tends to stick around to the lower right of the tank. But I reckon minimum a 1.2m tank.

:13:I recon 450l to 500l minimum for the adult mimic.

I think Pauls tank is about 250l. Not sure. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom