Yellow Submarine

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by Propnut, 28 Feb 2010.

1. Propnut

Propnut

Today we managed to get a small 3cm wrass type fish that I cannot identify in my reef books. Any ides?
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No idea Propnut. Please try and get a closer pic of the fish? Perhaps slightly more clear? (If you can?)

4. mnd123

mnd123

damn thats tiny - is it a wrasse or some type of leatherjacket? Closer shot would help

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Looks like some type of Hogfish. Awesome though!

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Propnut .... where have been lost dude? Its been so long since we heard from you .... very cool looking fish - where did you catch this buddy?

7. mnd123

mnd123

interesting call Mekaeel, looking at Bodianus axillaris which is the turncoat hogfish, but this species seems to have a different pattern of spots?

8. Propnut

Propnut Thread Starter

Time flies when you are on pension! Woke up this morning and realised that it is 2010! Now you ask me where I have been, how can I answer that if I have lost track of time myself.

Really, been trying to understand the reality of keeping a marine tank. Don't know of a book that can accurately describe the time a person must devote to this hobby.

Back to the fish in question. The closest I could find in the reef book was the Turncoat Hogfish, but, this one was base black with white and orange spots arranged in two rows of six spots in each row. This one has more spots in each row.

Why don't I get a clearer picture? Because my daughter asked if she could take it up to Pretoria for their marine tank. I am sure you will understand just how persuasive a daughter can be to her father. I have taken snaps of other fish she has "borrowed", so I will see if I can isolate the fish in question in another snap.

Caught in my backyard at Garvies this morning.

9. Propnut

Propnut Thread Starter

Here is another snap, also blurry I am afraid. I have sent a mail to my daughter for her to send me down a clear snap during the week.

[​IMG]

This is another that was caught, but not clearly identified. It is also a juvenile about 4cm.
    [​IMG]

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Are you referring to the "brownish" butterfly in the centre of the shot - I also see the magnificent moorish in there as well

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  11. Propnut

Propnut Thread Starter

The "brownish" butterfly in the centre of the shot is my query. To capture the moorish was one of the most high speed dashes through rock pools that I have ever done. I would never have dreamed that that type of fish could be so quick. Alas both are enroute to Pretoria to the large marine tank.

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

I stand to correction - think its called laluna or moon butterfly??? Oh and where's these "rock pools" - I'm spending the long weekend in March down in Durbs - would love to get some spectacular specimens..... Please do tell....

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

14. seank

seank

Please do not put any coral etc with the fish you have. Half of those locally caught fish in your tank is not coral friendly. And the sergeant major is definitely not one of the more "calm" damsels in a reeftank. Also, the Moorish Idol do not have a good success rate in a tank, and it is already way too big for your tank

15. mnd123

mnd123

Mr Koekemoer - read above

16. seank

seank

Ahhh, just saw it now, thank you Mnd, but the other fish is still not too reef friendly

17. Propnut

Propnut Thread Starter

No reef in this tank. Locals only and a few more LR to get a balance. Will post a photo later today so you can see what is left.

18. Propnut

Propnut Thread Starter

Got the fright of my life today. Minding my own business and all of a sdden the quiteness of the day broken by the sound of gushing water. Did my exercise for the week in diving for the main tank switch. On the Nano tank the return pipe from the pump pulled out of the elbow coupling that goes through the back wall. Water was pumping uonto the plastic cover for the four light tubes.

A lot of sweat, a little pipe tape and a few cable ties later all is back to normal. The towels on the tiled floor are doing their job. Seeind all around was wet I took the liberty of cleaning out all the sponge filters in the back chamber.

This is the finished result.

[​IMG]

19. Propnut

Propnut Thread Starter

Well this is where those pretty fish ended up. Good news I got back was no loss of any fsuring transport, and that today are all adgusting well to the bigger tank.
    \
    [​IMG]

20. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Butterfly is a juvenile Lunula.
    Lot of them in the rockpools here on the east coast.
    Adults can be caught with a No: 1 hook and a small piece of shrimp, - this in various places in the Durban harbour. Pretty hardy, although they are a bit susceptible to white spot.

Wrasse looks like a variety of Leaf wrasse, very pretty I must say.
    Mmmmh, got to buy me a copy of the Smiths fish book

21. Afsal

Afsal

that fish with the spots looks like a diana hogfish .....Bodianus diana

Recent Posts