yellow pin cushion care

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PeterL, 12 Jun 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have looked around MASA and have only found vage info and also that of other pin cushions...

I have a yellow pin cushion and I have read that it requires slightly more attention than that of a "normal" one. What is required as far as ideal care is concerned from a lighting, food and flow is concerned. To date I have been feeding my smaller pollyps based corals with Phyto and Zoo-plankton, I have assumed that it to be good for it as far as the food is concerned - it is really more the flow and lighting requirements.

However overall care info will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Peter - I have never seen a "yellow" pin-cushion before - just bleached one's. Their care is exactly the same as for all other leather corals, ie:
    - medium to high water flow
    - medium to high light
    - a little bit of nitrates in the tank also seems to do them good

You can try and feed, but I have never needed to manually feed/target feed any leather corals before..... Hope this helps.

Cheers!

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

It does, thanks. I will take a pic of mine for you to have a look at a yellow one, I got it because it was unusual, I am not familiar with it being this colour either. It is currently retracted so I will give it a bit of time to get it's "pins in action"

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I am just impatient and wasn't up to waiting for it to "open up" - sorry for the bad pic.
    This pic isnt so cool because I had to take it from the top because it is slightly behind the rocks and the zoom on my cell camera is really bad. It has only been in the tank for 1 or 2 days so I assume that it needs a bit of time to settle down??

When "opened up", the pins are a dark brown colour and with the bright yellow base colour,I have tried to google this coral but haven't come up with a successful pic. Maybe someone can give a more accurate ID

[​IMG]

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Looking nice there bud ... I must admit ... it doesn't look bleached and I definately never saw a yellow one before .... I hope it was not dyed by some over enthusiastic seller to the LFS...

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

HHHmmmm - a distinct possibility Chika.

Look - it's not impossible for such a coral to exist.....

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Just a quick question ... And not meaning to go off topic .... But when one frags a coral can you actually look "under its skin" and determine if it has dyed or like in this case maybe when this coral is ready to frag (and Peter is brave enough to do it coz I am certainly not THAT brave) to see if its true colour? Please dont bite my head off everyone ... I am in no way encouring anyone to start fragging to prove anything!

10. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

How would it, or would it no harm the coral to slice it, not specifically to remove a frag per say, but make an incision in it?

I have had a good look a it now that this was mentioned and it is pretty firmly attached to the piece of LR, I am not sure how long a dye would last for an a leather coral, but this has clearly been on the rock for some time. I will try get a better/closer pic for more views/opinions

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Oh Oh ... this is what I was afraid of ... I didn't become a vet (although I love animals) because was scared to slice open any living creature....

12. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

13. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I have jus moved the coral to the front of the tank to allow for a better pic of it's base. Taking into consideration at the color right at the tip of the foot, it is not discoloured relative to te rest of it and the way the LR is almost intertwined into it's base, it has been on that rock for a while.

If there was any dying involved, surely there would be run-off onto the rock too?

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Very nice quality pics ... When you do come to visit plz take some nice pics of my setup ... BTW if this was dyed ... a very good job was done as the color seems quite thorough!

15. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I would love to take pics - I enjoy photography, sadly my current camera found a rain storm over night, in one of the the parties my MRS accidentally forgot it outside and I found it when I went to clean the pool the next morning, these are taken with my phone so there is a lot of detail missing but for what we require in the discussion, I reckon they are OK.

16. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Based on the photos, do you still think that by making an incision across it at some point may revel something different inside than out as far as the colour if the coral is concerned? Or is this actually meant to be this colour?

I have never seen anything like it before, when it isn't being full of shit it resembles the identity of a pic cushion. The "pins" are sort of like a shade of brown/black/grey whilst the main body remains yellow. Everything I have found online shows pics of only completely yellow leathers and does not appear to be the same thing. It is just odd and I think it is a missed ID on my part - maybe

17. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Last edited: 15 Jun 2010
  19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Yellow Fiji Leather Coral (Sarcophyton elegans): [​IMG] Date Acquired: 10/15/2005
    Description:
    The Yellow Fiji Leather Coral may be referred to as the Sarcophyton elegans Coral. It can be found in shades of yellow, and unlike other Sarcophyton corals, it does not grow an extended stalk. Instead, these corals grow close to the rockwork, and will develop beautiful ruffles around the edges. It is a relatively peaceful coral but adequate space should be provided between itself and others in the reef aquarium. The Yellow Fiji Leather Coral requires medium to high lighting combined with moderate to strong water movement. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water. Culturing by the experienced hobbyist is often accomplished by cutting off a portion of the crown and attaching that piece to live rock or placing it in the sandy bottom of the reef aquarium. The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional needs from the light driven process of photosynthesis. It will also benefit from additional food such as micro-plankton, baby brine shrimp, or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

So is this it?

21. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Now I can breathe easier after contacting the LFS and confirming that it had in fact not been dyed and that they have recieved many of these Sarcophyton corals with varying colors. They informed me that the first shipments which they recieved, the returned as their 25year old business reputaion is at stake and was directed to an information base showing proof of what it is - they have apparently been selling them for some time with no negative feedback thus far.

Recent Posts