Urgent help needed yellow clown goby

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by awsum46, 15 Jan 2012.

1. awsum46

awsum46

hi guys, my yellow clown goby was eating when i got him, he was eating fine fattened up and grew in length for the last 2 weeks. in the last couple days he has started looking really bad and acting strange, breathing heavily, is barely eating now whereas he was a pig a couple days ago. he is staying away from the liverock, he is sitting on the return pump outlet nozzle at the top of the tank, and is deathly afraid of the everything moving in the tank, where he was brave and keen to investigate everything that was happening outside and inside the tank.

he looks like he has little yellow bumps all over him, he is still bright yellow.

I feed him twice a day, with tmc nano marine cuisine which contains: brineshrimp with garlic, mysis, rotifers, copepods, chopped mussel, chopped squid, chopped spinach. during the day he used to munch on the pods that cover the glass, the glass is still covered with them.

I have noticed that the pom pom crab is interested in him, and is quite aggressive towards him, it looks like she tries to sting the goby with the pom poms, every time he is near her.

Water parameters:
    25 degrees celsius
    pH 8.2
    ammonia 0 ppm
    nitrite 0 ppm
    nitrate 5ppm
    salt is 1.024

everything else in the tank is looking good.

Any ideas or advice i can do to get my goby back to a pristine condition?
    (mods if this is in the wrong thread please move it into the correct one)

Thank you.
    john

Last edited: 15 Jan 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

What test kits are you using and what is the expiry date on them?

4. erratiC

erratiC

You should get him out of the DT away from the pom pom into QT - have you made any changes to your tank in the last little while?

What do the little bumps look like? Could possibly be Ich. If so, to be safe I'd still take him out and put him into QT - lower the SG to around 1.010 and start dosing copper meds.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
  5. awsum46

awsum46 Thread Starter

im using api, but went to the lfs and they tested with salifert, and the only difference was with nitrates at 10 ppm.

6. awsum46

awsum46 Thread Starter

only changes i have made is water changes, of 1 liter each every 3 to 4 days. would i a fresh water dip work and how i do this?

i dont have a qt, i borrowed a mates when i first got him. is there any traetment i could use in the tank that would be coral and invert safe?

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Your tank doesnt have many hiding places for the goby. IN the wild clown gobies live amongst corals (generally SPS) so perhaps you should give yours a coral to live in to make it feel more at home.

8. eddiead

eddiead

I must agree with David. These little fish live in and amongst SPS coral. They also constantly peck at the coral, but they don't really damage the coral. I think they eat more the slime from the corals. I have found that it does affect polyp extension though. I love these little fish. Mine is quite a character and is very protective of his territory. He will dash at the copper band and other bigger fish.

9. awsum46

awsum46 Thread Starter

would a 9000k led light be able to support an sps like acropra? or would branching live rock be a better solution?

10. awsum46

awsum46 Thread Starter

he seems to have improved a small bit as i was doing a water change this morning he was out and investigating what was happening, i will try post a pic of him when i can get a good one. it looks like he is shedding a mucus layer on his skin.

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Will need more details about the LED before i can comment. THere is more to keeping acros than just lighting. With a tank so small, it might be hard to keep parameters constant enough to house an acro large enough for a clown goby.
    I have seen gobies live in leathers and dead sps, however getting a fish to host in a coral is always hit or miss.

12. awsum46

awsum46 Thread Starter

thanks, i think for now, i shouldn't add anything more to the tank just to keep any possible stress level down for him. Im going to leave him be for the rest of the day to see how he does.

13. 2balive

2balive

The don't really heads a SPS, LPS or a large softy should be fine. Mine host in my torch coral during the day and sleep in my cat's eye or donut at night.

Looks scary as he even sleeps there when the cat's eye feeding tentacles are out.

14. erratiC

erratiC

Good to hear he's doing better! Google a bit and you'll find that it's almost a common thing with Clown gobies - haven't read enough to give you a decent response as to what it is or why it happens but as long as he's looking up everything's alright. :thumbup:

15. awsum46

awsum46 Thread Starter

found him this morning on the sand being munched on by the hermit :(

16. 2balive

2balive

Recent Posts