yellow belly damsels

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Chris Makings, 1 Sep 2013.

1. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Hey all, I did post a thread awhile back about my damsels,

I added two false peculiar clowns yesterday and they where all fine until I woke up this morning, one of the clown was dead, the lfs said it could of been the damsel that killed it during the night, I did not see any wounds on it this morning when I took it out. Could the be that the damsel stressed it out?

It only seems as the one is aggressive as it controls the live rock area and the other one just swims by the pump.

Should I maybe get sell them or give them away and not have any other issues later on? and are there any lfs in jhb that would swop them out for something else?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How big we're clowns compared to damsels?
    Yellow bellies are not too aggressive as far as damsels go. Did it chase the clowns when you added them?
    You should remove the damsels if you want other fish, if you really want damsels make sure they the last fish you add.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Unfortunately Damsels are very aggressive and they could've stressed the fish to death, adding to the already stressed fish from being moved. I would say to try and take your damsels out (a rather difficult operation) or take the clowns back. Give some LFS a call, see if they will take any damsels, you might not get any money, but a least you wont kill them.

5. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

They almost the same size, clown maybe a bit bigger but not much.

it did not chase the clown as I put the lights off when I added them. but I did notice the one chasing the remaining clown this morning when it came near the lr.

when I left for work all seemed fine clown was liking the mushrooms in the front of the tank and damsel at the back, I am going to get another clown today after work,

6. Chris Makings

thanks, I will call around today and see if they will take the two damsels from me, I know the one lfs said they might take them but that was awhile ago, will call them and see what they say.

7. Bonehead

Bonehead

Firstly it is impossible to catch damsels, believe i have tried. Check out page 2 of my tank thread

I had a similar problem in the end my regal tang ( which is bigger than the damsels) sorted them out and goes for the damsels when they get to close to the clowns

Last edited: 1 Sep 2013
  8. Chris Makings

@Bonehead, I do understand its going to be hard, but the clown was a bit bigger than the one damsel, and it still seemed like the damsel got to it, luckily I don't have too much in my tank at the moment so I am going to try and get them today, it seems like it only the one that is the aggressive one, the other just stays in it corner. I just don't want to loose any more live stock in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Bendor

Bendor

Get them out now while you still can!! Code double red. Abort. Abort the damsels.

:kangakiller:

10. Chris Makings

That's going o be my mission after work today, got hold of a lfs and they said I can bring them and they will swop them for something, not sure what yet but will have a look and see what they got for me. its me and the damsels this afternoon.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how big is the tank? Is there enough space for the clowns to get away from the damsels.

My experience with these damsels are that although they are aggressive, they are only aggressive in their own territory. Each one takes about a 30cm square as his base and will defend that. As long as the clowns can get away, the damsels will only chase them out of the damsel's base.

Maybe just some bad luck. Or too fast acclimatized.

12. shaunn

shaunn

if you like i have a fish trap that you can lend i caught my demsel aka (F&^&ker) with it

13. Chris Makings

@RiaanP, the tank is a 200Lt juwel tank, its about its just short of a meter wide.

it was just the one that was controling the lr and the other stayed by the pump, I did aclimitize the clowns for an hour before I added them in, so I don't think it was that, the one was fine, the other was did not make it.
    @shaunn, thanks for the offer on the fish trap, managed to get them out yesterday, but had to remove some of my lr. But they out and I got another clown for them, they seem happy now. Will see what they like when I get home today.

14. Shalen

Shalen

I've got 2 yellow belly damsels - they are THUGS! Always hassling my blue chromis and blue four-line wrasse! Chromis has evidence of being bitten. They swim across from one end of my 5-foot tank to the other just to get to the chromis! How much of place do these guys really need???

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what other fish do you have? Anything else keeping the damsels in check?

16. Shalen

Shalen

I also have a clown tang, 4 clownfish, cardinals, fire gobies. Picking up a Regal and a Yellow tang this week. I hope that one of these 2 tags put them in place. Any suggestions what fish can sort them out?

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Not a good idea to get a more aggressive fish to try and sort out an aggression problem. If they really being a problem, then rather remove them. Fighting causes stress which will lead to decreased disease resistance.

18. Shalen

Shalen

Thanks! I'm gonna have to remove these thugs!

Recent Posts