Yellow Angel - Gone in 60 secs

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by H0nda42, 25 Aug 2008.

1. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hi All,
    Lost my Angel yesterday out of nowhere. Tank has been going well, stable conditions.Angel was fine all week-end and then after feeding yesterday, he started flopping around and falling down.Couldn't swim anymore and was leaning up against a rock (Feed on a mixture of Omega 1 flakes, frozen mix and marine granules - same stuff since tank started - no excess feeding).
    By yesterday afternoon, his body was totally stiff (couldn't swim using his tail and his fins were badly damaged - might be cleaner schrimp?), breathing heavily and lying down.
    My other fish were fine.
    Only new addition to my tank is a Seio 1100 and 2 new moonlights - purchased Thursday. The powerhead caused a bit of detritus to be blown up around the tank, but has had no ill affects on the other fish (2 cleaner schrimp, 4 snails, False Royal Grammar and Oscellaris Clown). Only have run the Seio for an hour at a time when home - need to place it properly, its very strong in my 180l tank.
    Temp stable at 28deg, salinity 1024, Ph 8.2 and Nitrite = 0.05
    Cleaned cannister (rinsed components in tank water) on Wed and did 5% water change.
    Tank been running for 8 weeks and had a few fatalities (3 Clown - LFS said it was a velvet outbreak + - 4 weeks ago)
    PS: When we got Angel, he had a bad case of Cloudy eye, which healed up nicely with Heal All, about 2 weeks ago.
    Have a new Reeftek hang-on skimmer waiting to be installed.
    As this was a 2nd incident, I have moved fish to another persons tank as well as all my LR. Will be restarting my tank this week (friend has offered to use water from his tank to assist start-up).
    Will only be keeping my Arrogonite, and LR; otherwise all else will be fresh.
    Any opinions, views suggestions. See my tank specs in my thread.
    Regards,
    Warren

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I don't know if giving somebody your LR and inmate was, is a good idea. If they have something they will infect his tank as well.

4. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Well I queried this and was told this should be fine as the system was large, established and had the full house on it.
    The LR went into a seperate curing tank.Was careful not to add the water, just the fish.
    So I hope it doesn't have any adverse affects.
    Any ideas from you side?

5. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Anybody with any ideas on this? Also am starting again tomorrow, so will post pics of the new setup once all is running well and the skimmer etc is setup.
    It'll be like starting again.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What are you testing your Nitrite with? That reading should be 0.

7. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

I Got a Red Sea test kit. It uses the colour chart which is difficult to read as 0, 0.05 and 0.1 are all so close together colour wise.

8. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

sorry to hear it sound like an external reason have seen fish peg that quickly but usually large temp or salinity change or maybe Chl if you'd been working in the pool??????

9. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

I hope not Trad. I have always heard that nothing good happens quickly in marine. Am trying to figure out what this was so can avoid it for the future. But am draining tank tonight and getting it back up and running tomorrow with water.
    It wasn't temp or salinity (I know that for sure) but also we try to keep our arms out of the tank as much as possible - we do wash hands etc when working on the tank too. It happened directly after eating, so maybe something there.
    Could crushed garlic wrapped in foil in the fridge be a problem?

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I doubt the garlic would have done anything, many people feed their fish garlic.

11. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

THanks Viper. Well no point in wondering what went wrong. Going to get water and setting up system tonight. Will do some scaping and post pics in a new thread tomorrow.

12. durleo

durleo

Hi Honda

Did you have any deaths like this after you started your tank again -

I experienced the exact same thing with two fish - My copperband and powder blue
    I fed them some frozen food yesterday and this morning they where life less and couldnt swim. All my other fish are fine. Do you think it is contagious

13. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Hi Durleo, no I have not lost another fish to disease since this incident. It came on so quickly, there was nothing I could do.
    I think it might even have been something with the way the fish was caught. i.e. using chemicals to flush or stun the fish, which poisons them and kills them inexplicably not long afterwards.
    Sorry to hear about your fish.
    I hope the rest of your inmates are well

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

maybe a stupid question, you say it happened after feeding it frozen food. Was the food fully unfrozen by the time you added it to the tank. Also no frozen or hard clumps?

Sounds like he got a ice block stuck. Like swallowing an ice cube with your brandy and coke.

15. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

:) Riaan, I have yet to see a rugby supporter drop dead from swallowing an ice block in their Brandy and Coke. I have seen many start to flop about, fall over, or even appear dead. But they generally start to make a good recovery within 1 day or so. I don't think it is it's the same problem Riann.
    But Durleo, perhaps hold off on the B&C's for the fish till they can drink properly:)
    :0

16. Andreas

Andreas

Sorry to hear about your loss. Do you say that you wash your hands with soap before working on the tank. Soap is very dangerous and you should try not to stick your hands in the tank just after washing it.

17. Furbz

Furbz

also just had 3 healthy. 2 week old anthias die in the same way!
    they were all eating and happy, and then the same thing you described happened...
    hmm...
    i got a hunch it might be from the area these fish were caught in.
    something external.
    all my older fish are acting normal.

this is weird guys. cant, be coincidence?
    must be the supplier that the pet stores are using.

Recent Posts