Xmas tree worms not set in coral and repairing damaged tubes.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 4 Sep 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

Some one a while back wanted pics of xmas tree worms that do not exist in coral, these first two pics are just that of many we see,i brought some home to get better pics and set them up in my top tank and show how to repair them when you damage their shell material tube.
    These are in my tank and they have their cal shell tubes obviously, but did not exist in a coral fornation,just on the rocks.
    The blue one that follows in the second pic needed repairing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the few collected, two needed repairing and one is in a coral formation.

[​IMG]

This is how I repaired the larger blue one as I didn't extract/collect it very well.
    Two needed repairing to save them.
    I use to glue on clear plastic pipe many years ago, but its quite expensive these days so I just used a section of a felt pen.
    There is far more to this working successfully, but that will be in a thread over our way in the coming weeks in the advice section so others that do not extract/collect them safely can save them for healthy long tank life once at home.
    [​IMG]

This is one of two I have that are from a coral formation.
    This one has been in my tank for four months
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Sep 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nim

nim

good job :thumbup:

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

do you stick the tube over the feather duster and then cut it to size? the one on the pucture looks too long. would the feather duster climb up the tube? awesome job btw :thumbup:

5. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Yeh the worm uses the tube and coats it in time.
    I glue the plastic tube over the worms rear end onto the calcium tubes rear and sit the worm in the tube and the plastic tube is slightly bigger then the worms tube.
    I have scored the end of the plastic tube with sand paper to get the araldite to adhere properly and sit the end that needs fixing out of the water and dry that area with toilet paper.
    I put the araldite around the plastic near the end, not at the end and sit the tube on the tubes end and let the araldite run down it and I set it in with a little screwdriver.
    It cant touch the worms flesh as it goes off due to acidic cure properties or it will harm it then the worm may not use plastic tube.
    I use to use clear pvc and watch over time what happens in that tube, its quite interesting how it changes in there.
    A pinprick hole is put at the end of the plastic tube.
    It’s all quite easy, just not easy keeping the glue off the worms body.

Recent Posts