Xenia and Lighting

Reaction score
Any comments on lighting requirements for a Xenia.

I have added an extra 7000 lumens to my tank and my Xenia is not "puffing" up like it normally does.

The coral is located half way up my reef, approx. 350mm from the lighting.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Never noticed light having much effect on Xenia hey. Could still be getting used to it if you added recently.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
From what i have read they do that when the nutrients is higher then normal, more activated carbon or something to get thing normal.
The pulsing only happens when they need to draw in nutrients.

It has noting to do with light.
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Agree with Rory. Very tolerant of most lighting conditions and flow. If you have ramped up your lighting, most animals will sulk, and if you have gone from t5 like i know you have to metal halides; the change can be lethal. IMO Instead of moving the coral rather raise the light which will then diffuse the energy over a bigger area. Keep your hands out.

The other point maybe to observe is that metabolisms including calcification are being increased as well. All this extra light has a bi product, which stays in your tank. The bi product of respiration. Waste...

Reaction score
If they get a lot of flow, they tend to open much much much bigger than normal. Try it, you'll see

Reaction score
Pretty much the same. More flow coming tomorrow. (M1500). Will give a follow up soon as new powerhead is installed.

Reaction score
pulsating xenia only pulses when the water current around it is slow. the pulsating is to move fluids inside the xenia, if the water does the work it scuse the pun ... goes with the flow. ps this is from personal visual observation. if your salinity is lower than 1023 the xenia tends not to pulse.:thumbup: