Wynie's Boyu TL 550 startup

Reaction score
Hey fellow addicts

This will be picture thread of Boyu TL550 as it progresses.

I bought it on the 18th July 2013 and this is what it looked like.

1.jpg

After a week it didnt really look the cycle has kicked of. @Rennie came to have a look and gave me some great advice, some LR and a cup of @Aquaria-SA Nitrifying bacteria.
Today - 3days later - The tank seemed to come alive. The rock is turning brown and I have noticed some small things growing almost everywhere on the LR.
Powerfull stuff!

So this is what things look like after my latest LR addition

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update and a couple of questions.

My tank has been cycling for almost 3 weeks now. I have about 10kgs of live rock in there. All the rocks and most of the subtrate is covered in brown algae.

I tested the Ammonia on Sunday. Was 0,1mg/l. Also tested the Nitrites tonight. Was 0.
This is the only tests I have at the moment. Fetching the others tomorrow at the post office.

When I started cycling I added about half a cup from a friends agronite (mature tank) and also added a cup of Nitrifying bacteria. Last night added another half cup of bacteria.

There was a lot of die off on the LR. I couldnt follow the cycle as I didnt have tests in the beginning.

So heres my question: could the cycle be finished?
Im doing all the tests over the weekend to confirm all my results and then ill also do a Kh, Ph and Nitrate test

Just tested al parameters.
Ammonia - 0.1
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
KH - 9
PH - 8.5
Salinity - 1.026

Looking good buddy. With those parameters its safe to add your first fish. I would advise you to do a water change first and siphon some of that diatoms out. Also dose some stability. Just take your time when stocking to let your filtration adjust to bioload slowly.

Are you running any chemical medias?

Last edited:
Thanks @mornewil. I bought some stability and flow pumps that I wil get next week. Wil do a 50l water change before I add anything. Will corals add to my bio load?

Does ammonia stones count as chemical media?

Thanks @mornewil. I bought some stability and flow pumps that I wil get next week. Wil do a 50l water change before I add anything. Will corals add to my bio load?

Does ammonia stones count as chemical media?

Corals does add to bioload but not as much as fish as fish produces lots of waste and require constant feeding. Many corals eat whatevers in the water column.
I would advise you to add a few fish first before you start adding corals so there can be some sort of food source for corals. But take it very slow when stocking.;)

Here is a planned list of what I want to stock:

Bicolor blennie
Orchid dottyback
Yellow tail damsel
Peppermint shrimp
Fire shrimps x 2
Black clowns x 2
Hermits x 2

Please let me know what you guys think.
Should I remove or add anything?
Is it to much for my Boyu?

Obviously I wont stock all in 1 go, but I would like to have a complete plan before I start

Back
Top Bottom