Wtf??

Reaction score
Ok, So my Nano tank is in it's 3rd week of it's cycle and this guy appears (in the middle of the pics). He looks like a crab from the side but has no pinchers or feelers. After I took these pics he shed and was very much the same colour as the coraline.Any ideas??
958485ff5025d8e9.jpg

958485ff5a9e5027.jpg

958485ff60af0622.jpg

Hey Jaak, you will be amazed what crawls out of the LR ???? I'm still an newbie and seeing all weird and wonderful stuff around my LR??? small little crabs are very common and can spot around 2 or 3 at any one time ?

Not seen anything like that ??? Surely the bofs will give your answer ...

Can you remove it and take a better pic?

Sorry Wee-Man,

I haven't seen this guy again since this. I couldn't take better pics at the time either...

Looks like some sort of crustacean? These dudes will routinely emerge from your live rock - nothing to worry about methinks. But best wait for someone who knows more than me (that's just about anyone ;-) to chime in with a more definitive answer.

This link may be useful: CrustIDFAQs

Q

Where not??

Oh, and Jaak, that's a great wave dude. Where do you surf? Just took it up again after a 20 year break - been pottering around at Muizies.

Ahoy Quinton,

I've been spoilt the last 6 years... My previous company sent me to the Eastern Cape for a week every 6 -8 Weeks which meant I stayed in J-bay every time. The best is i've got family there so we go there quite often. But my local break is mostly Big bay or Derde steen and sometime Tube wave in Melkbos. I'm not surfing half as often as I should. Welcome back in the water!!!

get yourself a mantis then you will get rid of your crabs dude:p

Ahoy Lanzo,

Someone suggested that it might be a baby mantis... We'll have to wait and see.

Hi Jaak - this looks much more like a decorator crab to me (even though it also makes me think of a tick LOL!).

Have a look here:
55045612.JPG

And:
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Online Field Guide

If I am correct in this, then you are really lucky. They are not harmful at all, and you should be able to leave it in your tank without fear.

BUT - let's hear what the others has to say before you take my word as 100% factful and truthful! :)

Hi Jaak - this looks much more like a decorator crab to me (even though it also makes me think of a tick LOL!).

Have a look here:
55045612.JPG

And:
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Online Field Guide

If I am correct in this, then you are really lucky. They are not harmful at all, and you should be able to leave it in your tank without fear.

BUT - let's hear what the others has to say before you take my word as 100% factful and truthful! :)

Thats one ugly Crustacean

God, if Henk says KILL IT !!!! Kill it, he told me to keep my very very ugly bristle worms ....

HENK: on that subject i have loads of tiny crabs living in my my LR, when my moonlights are on i can at least see 2 at anyone one time ??? are they good? Should i not worry ???

Sorry for hijacking the thread ???

if its hairy kill it.... its easy to build a trap for them using a bottle thats at an angle. they cant climb back out once they are in

Spotted!!

I just saw this guy come out now but by the time I got back with the camera he was busy making his retreat. I got a good look at him now and he looks very similar to the pic jacquesb posted of the decorator crab. I'm not in a rush to axe him just yet. I'll wait a while and check it out over the next few weeks as the tanks is going through it's cycle...

Back
Top Bottom