WS removal

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Criggy, 14 Oct 2014.

1. Criggy

Criggy

So the dreaded WS has affected both of my tangs now :m81:
    The regal has signs as well as my yellow - his lateral line is also quite visible.
    The only thing I have done recently is raised the KH level as it was getting on the low end - and I did it slowly.
    I have been advised to get a UV sterilizer to get rid of the WS - it will also provide crystal water and in general make maintenance much easier.

Botom line is I want to remove this dreaded WS for good and quarantine all new fish properly going forward.

Any advice or help would really be appreciated.:m108:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziguri

ziguri

Regarding the disease, i dont have any experience with it but this might be helpful (If this is in fact the problem youre referring to)

Regarding the sterilizer, i really do recommend it. Ive connected one less than 24 hours ago and the difference it has made to my water clarity is amazing

Last edited: 14 Oct 2014
  4. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Interesting- what brand did you purchase out of interest?

5. Barlan

Barlan

For WS you can try the UV and enriched food and hope they shake it off, or do the bucket method that Riaanp describes.

Unfortunately i have been through this when i added a powder blue without QT. Wiped my tank, lost 13 fish and had to fallow for 12 weeks. All my new fish go through bucket method for 14 days, followed by QT then into DT. Its a mission but worth it in the end.

If QT / bucket is out then the food is the way to go

6. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Hmmmm..seems im learning the hard way. I think the bucket method may be the way to go...

7. Barlan

Barlan

might be dude, just a mission to catch them. I had to use a fish trap to get my last 2 fish out with my outbreak, unfortunately they were to far gone.

Hope they recover soon man

8. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

They all still ewting very well so could go the immune route....

9. ziguri

ziguri

I have the 15 watt Ultra Zap

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

11. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Hi Riaan -
    So I am going to do the bucket method to remove the WS from my tank and from my system.
    I have the following questions though and I hope you don't mind assisting me with these-

Where do you get these 1micron filters? Is there ever a need to clean this?
    Would it not be best drip in prepared water to the tank water after the first change and use prepared water for each and every swap from there on - this way parameters will be more stable - all you aer really dealing with is salinity, temp and ph?
    If topping up with tank water for each change would it also not be best to run the top up water through the 1micron filter?
    WHat do you use the 300l/h pump for? Is this for flow?
    Have you performed this in summer when heating is not so much an issue but rather keeping cool?

I assume that after siphoning the water through the 1micron filter into the new bucket that you transfer the fish across with the net - is there any chance that the WS could not be transferred to the new bucket from the net?

How many 2 day cycles do you repeat?
    I clearly have the WS in my system so the fish i beliebe are going to have to be removed from the system for 4 weeks..correct? I would therefore have to set up a quarantine system for 3 weeks after the bucket system?
    Does this include shrimps, snails, crabs etc or is it just fish?
    I asume that corals, LR and substrate can stay in the system?
    I have a 3 chromis, 2 clowns, a lawnmower blennie, regal tank and a yellow tang - will they in your opinion all be able to undergo this process at the same time?
    I have 40L buckets that I will be using.

Finally just to ensure that I have a handle on this I will be doing the following in principle:

1 Fill bucket with 40L tank water (should this br drained through 1micrion filter?)
    Feed a little on day 1 and then as much as required just before the water change.

Syphon half water out of the container into the second bucket using the filter.
    Transfer fish from the first bucket to the second bucket
    Drip in new water(cannister filtered water from the tank or prepared water)
    Feed on day 1 and then feed as much as required again just before the water change...

Do you use para guard or any other additives during this process to assist in stress relief?

One thing I cant get my mind around is the transfer of the fish from the one bucket to the other?

Thanks in advance :)

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Any water purifying company. It just an extra insurance.

Yes, as the fish and water are infected, you can start the buckets with water from display. Thereafter you should use freshly mixed water. If your display are clean, and you are just quarantining new arrivals, then you can use water from display for every water change.

No.
    That is why I add the new water so slowly. Same as dripping a new fish

you can.

yes. Pointed up, so that it does not form a constant gyre and the fish have to swim all day to stay in place.

That was in summer.

Yes, DO NOT siphon the bottom. Use the top half only.
    And I prefer never to use a net, unless I can help it. I use that small glass box.
    Transferring WS is not really an issue. Go and look at the live cycle. the few that does get transfer will attached to the bottom of the bucket. The same as any WS that falls off the fish that day. So not really that a big issue. As long as you do the buckets for longer than the host part is.

5, total 10 days. WS cycle on host is 7 days max.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

6 weeks. So after buckets, that is 10 days, another 4 weeks and 4 days. So make it 5 weeks. Any sign of re-infection, and you start over with the buckets.

Just the fish. Do not forget to feed the shrimps and hermits.

yes, and inverts.

The fish you have, can all go together, in a 40L water. So bigger tub maybe?
    You described the process correct.

You can use medicine for flatworms or other issues while in the bucket. A lot better than doing it in a display and you will use a lot less medicine.

I use the glass box. Put it against one side and herd the fish around into it. use a piece of eggcrate as chase tool and a "gate". Lift tank out with fish in water, put it in the other tub.

Just ensure your tub is covered. Put a dark towel over half the tub to help with having a dark hide away spot.

14. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the information :) I will let you know how it goes. Do you use additives when doing the changes?Stabilizer, stress guard, bacteria etc? Does the water siphon effectively through the 1micron filter or do you need a pump to push it through?

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope.

The filter chamber I use, got 19mm connection points. Not the small little RO connections. So the water drains via it easily without the need to use a pump.

Might have to order that especially, also from water shops.

16. Tokolosh 420

Tokolosh 420

i found great success with herbtana and garlic guard , worked well for my regal

17. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Problem is you are not treating the cause - I used herbtana and currently still use garlic guard - the WS disappears for a while and then bite back as soon as the fish stresses. In my opinion these remedies are fine if you have fish that are easy to keep but as soon as you get tangs and other more fussy fish you will have an issue like I have had now - powder blues and regals are finicky!

18. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

So it looks like one of my clowns has even picked up the WS now.
    Im goint to transfer them all out of the tank tomorrow evening and start the bucket method.
    Does anybody know if there is any sort of medication I can use to treat flukes and any other parasites etc while they are out of the reef tank?
    Im seriously considering using stress guard throughout the bucket process also - any thoughts or recommendations?

Recent Posts