Wrong Metal Halide

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by luwaynecrous, 2 Jun 2010.

1. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous

Will using a normal single ended 250W Phillips Metal halide, That costs R220, cause any problems in a marine aquarium, like algae problems. These lights are not made for aquaria, thus not the correct spectrum.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi, if the kelvin temp of the bulb is below 9000K then it will make the water look p*ss coloured:p there is a dabate however that lower kelvin rating is good for coral growth but inversly effects coral colouration, you could use the bulb but u will have to supplement with actinic t5's:thumbup:

4. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous Thread Starter

Checked the specs now on the bulb. Colour temperature 4500K and spectrum in the 580 range, from what I read this range will cause algae blooms.

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

bit low

4500K is a bit on the low side and algaes do prefer lower kelvin light ratings but if all your phos and nitrates are kept well in check u shouldnt have a problem but i am not speaking from experience as i have never tried that type of bulb for display tank

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You will grow some kickass algae with that dude.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - IF there are a lot of nutrient in the water, then YES, this globe CAN help algae grow. BUT, if algae can grow - so can corals. Luwaynacrous - this globe will indeed help corals grow - BUT, as was said already - your tank's water will be VERY yellow....
    You can always try and offset the yellow'ness with actinic/blue globes - a lot of it! ;)

Recent Posts