Wrong advise from dealers to sqeeze sales out of newbies

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Tattoomarius, 29 Jan 2014.

Voter count: 61
?

Do you trust the dealers advice

Poll closed 5 Feb 2014.
  1. Yes always

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but I still do my own research before buying anything

77.0%
  3. No - Never

23.0%
  1. Tattoomarius

Tattoomarius

Around a month ago I bought two clown fish from a well know dealer in Montague Gardens. By the time I got home the one was dead. I immediately contacted the dealer and after having to send him a picture of the dead fish he agreed to replace it the next time I go there. I stay in Gordonsbay, so I only got there two weeks later. While there I decided to buy some more livestock as Ive just travelled 50km to get there. I asked the staff to help me chose some stock thats reef safe. Among other stuff he showed me a Purple Reef Lobster ---- wow what a beauty !!! He assured me that they are 100% reef safe... I had no reason not to trust him. Over the last two weeks the lobster killed 3 of my other fish. I had to completely re-arrange my whole nicely settled tank to get the lobster out again.
    So I took it back to the dealer today. He told me that he will only give me R50 back for it !! This after I just drove another 50kms to him. I offered him R150 on a R220 Manderin fish....I thought then at least I get R20 more on my return and he makes another sale. He refused !! He told me that 8 out of 10 lobsters are reef safe and I just by chance got a "bad" one !!! So all of that bull for a R100 sale !! Really ??? Is that what its come down to ???
    My advice to all newbies.... Do your research before you buy and beware of "advise" from dealers !!! Google is your friend !!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor

I always do a quick live aquaria search on my phone if I see something that I like but I don't know anything about. Some lfs's are awesome places full of knowledge but some are just shops.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

for me personally is not that I don't trust dealers but I always do a research on what I'm about to buy.. its not a mater of trust for me but I like to understand how the stuff actually works the pros and cons etc.. I like to go real deep. but that's just me.. for example I won't go into a pet shop even be it the most reputable one on land and ask let say how to maintain the calcium levels in my tank and when the sales guy tells me to buy a calcium reactor I just pay for it and go home happy that the problem is solved. I wanna know how does the reactor work.. what's inside .. how does it affect the chemistry of the water and why the pros the cons and everything else. same goes for livestock as well .

I'll tell you what as with any other business there are those who are there to take advantage .. Tue dishonest.. the one who don't really know much but had the capital to start something and they chose to go into the trade etc.. its really up to you to do a proper research before you buy something

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Answered your own question there. :p

6. MerlinT

MerlinT

I myself like to do thorough research. You won't believe how much more you learn of not only what you researching but other stuff as well.
    Research guys! You won't go wrong plus it will save you loads of cash to spend on something else.

M

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

@Tattomarius what would you classify as reef safe? I googled purple lobster and got loads if hits...
    Mostly agreeing with the sponsor who told you it is reefsafe.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

there are always a black sheep in the family.

I know of a sailfin tang that eats Zoa
    And another beautiful sailfin that is hyper aggressive, cannot stick your hand in the tank, and no other fish either.

But yes, Google is your friend

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud, I think you are very lucky that the LFS replaced the dead fish. I would not have. How would I have known how the fish was treated during transport in your car. Many a new reefer has purchased LS and stuck the bag on the back seat of the car where the sun quickly raises the temperature resulting in a dead fish or coral. As soon as you walk out the LFS door with your purchase you take responsibility for the live stock. You chose the fish and if the LFS caught one you were not happy with you ask them to put it back and catch a fish you are happy with.
    Normally LFS pack fish to last a few hours. If you tell them you are going to travel long distance or take time in getting the fish into QT then they will pack the fish accordingly. They may charge you extra for a poly box but at least the fish will survive the journey.

The issue with the reef safe lobster is more likely that the 3 fish died and the lobster was doing the cleanup job. Thats what they do. Just because you saw the lobster with the dead fish does not mean that the lobster killed it.

Bud please don't take this in a negative light. I am trying to help ensure that you understand and that these issues don't recur.

Ebi Omer likes this.
  10. 4age

4age

with all respect to LFS owners, a few of them do not always give right advice all the time. or the staff are not clued up on marines which causes problems. often they do not keep marines personally and want to make a sale (note: this is not a swipe at all lfs owners or staff, there are many who are knowledgeable, especially our sponsors) I will sometimes ask a question about stock, even if I already know the answer, just to gauge if the person helping me knows what he is talking about.

If I see something I never seen at a lfs and I want to buy it I read up on it quickly by searching on my phone..has saved me from plenty of headaches before..

11. 4age

4age

I sometimes find live aquarias information to be very broad basic information applied to groups of species, and not the specific challenges that come with keeping a specific species. I have used it before and it does help, but I also search on masa or other places as well

google is your friend..

12. NO3

NO3

Put your fish in a cooler box when transporting!! Just helps with the temperature, even a polystyrene one will do !

Last edited: 30 Jan 2014
  13. Tattoomarius

Tattoomarius Thread Starter

I transported it in a polystyrene box as sold by the same dealer.

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

how did you aclimatize the fish when you got home.. what did you do exactly ?

15. andrewpalang

andrewpalang

Confirm he then sold you a Mandarin? Tough one to keep alive!

16. Tattoomarius

Tattoomarius Thread Starter

As per usual, I use a slow drip method.... The dish was dead in the bag when I opened the polystirene container with the bags in +_ 45 mins after I bought it

17. Stanley

Stanley

Some LFS has a notice up aswell that reads no refunds on livestock.. You are a lucky guy when the LFS replaced it for you..

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

The LFS @Tattoomarius is talking about has a huge sign 14 day money back gaurantee...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I am of the adage that every fish is different, they are higher animals. I have kept "unsafe" fish in my tank, but I also make sure that they are well fed. Fish are opportunistic feeders that learn where they can get food EASILY, why else would they congregate at feeding times in your glass box. I have always kept a few fish that have always stayed away from my LPS (coral beauty and other angels) because the have food readily available for them. Why eat a LPS or Zoanthid that might sting you or taste bad. The only fish I have had trouble with is my file fish.
    Inverts like shrimps and lobsters seem to stick to their genetic makeup and prefer to eat that which they are made to eat.

That being said, I am home 95% of the time, I can watch what they doing and thereby adapt to their needs.
    Also, always research and learn for your self, not only are you gaining knowledge but also helping your own live in animals.

20. regis

regis

Always use liveaquaria in the shop, I have seen engineer gobies labelled neon gobies, engineer gobies grow to a foot, told the guys in the shop there mistake, still is labelled the same, also certain shops are just better to avoid, fish die most of the time, or will infect you whole tank, so research, quarinteen, and asked local guys, they will tell what to buy where, asking is free

21. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I personally go to the LFS being spoken of and they are definately in the top half of the LFS's in cape town to deal with. Some of their hardware prices are steep but their dead livestock return policy is amazing and they regularly get in new stock.

The lobster on the other hand is unfortunate. I think most are reefsafe but as a few said before you get the odd one or two that are a little crazy. I personally saw one in a little boyu nano with a couple small fish with it and the guy has had no problems with him.

With regards to trusting the LFS to know whats good for your tank. Hells no. I believe in planning/researching what you want and not getting sucked into and on the spot purchase when you see something pretty in a tank.

Recent Posts