RSS Write-Up Wednesday: Orange Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris)

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 24 Jun 2015.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

The Orange Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) is a bottom dwelling fish with a white body and orange spots. The Orange Diamond Goby creates burrows in the sandbed for protection and is usually long lived in captivity.

Orange Diamond

…
    [​IMG]
    Click here to view the article....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got one, extremely shy. I thought I lost it in the beginning, only saw him again after 5 weeks.

Currently living under the button polyps right at the front of the tank. But I still hardly see him.

Pity that, but it is a nice fish.

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Mine is the opposite of yours. He is out an about shifting the sand, checking out the mandarin and looking at his reflection on the glass. :)

5. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

hey guys at the end of the article he mentions he doesn't recommend the diamond goby. do you agree with his statement? i love the diamond goby and was hoping to get one for my nano. but now i am not sure

6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

He only mentions that because of the sand dunes the goby creates and the possibility for the coral on the sandbed to become covered with substrate.
    I have a few clams and coral on the sandbed (doughnut, brain, goniopora, zoas etc) however I have never seen them covered with substrate because of the goby. There are times when the tanks becomes cloudy due to the particles released when he shifts the sand but it does clear up fairly quickly in my tank. The good thing is that the substrate is kept pristine :)

Last edited: 25 Jun 2015
  7. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

My one's burrow and sleeping quarter is under a zoa garden I have every evening he will cover the entire zoa garden with sand and dive into the sand under the zoa garden. In the morning he will remove all of the sand from the zoas and you wouldn't even know that they were completely covered in sand the night before.

IMG_4200.jpg

tekkengal likes this.
  8. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

thanks guys, one of these little guys definitely on my list when i start stocking

9. zippy

zippy

yip make sure there is enough substrate for him to chow, most of them starve to death because they run out of food in our small tanks.

10. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

@zippy my one eats frozen foods, flakes aswell as nori.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. zippy

zippy

I've seen a few eat flake, but I think it's a matter of training. I've also seen mine have a go at nori, but never to the point of swallowing it, the one I had just spat the nori out again and left it. My clowns did the same at the time. Luck of the draw i reckon :m03:

Recent Posts