Wrasse vs Clam

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by amalick, 27 Jun 2009.

1. amalick

amalick

Hi Guys - I need an ID on this wrasse that I have had since juvy for a few years now. Since yesterday his gone "cookoo" and found a sudden appetiite for one of my clams. He basiccaly wont rest until his turned the clam over and starts wripping at the foot of the clam. Luckily I saw it in time before too much damage was done - I think!

I removed the clam and placed it in quarintine - I hope it survives.

I like both the wrasse and the clam. Options

1) Sell the clam or the wrasse
    2) Attempt to glue the clam down with Pratley Putty while in QT and return to Dt once it has a strong foothold

Clam
    [​IMG]

Wrasse - A few months ago - I just cant get a good pic now beacuse he is so active
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Don't do that, clams move and it will probably die if glued down and unable to move itself.

The closest I can find on your wrasse is a Formosan coris - Coris frerei but I'm not 100% sure on that.

4. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

THanks

I googled the ID you provided and I think you are probably spot on. Looks like this guy is not reef safe when it comes to clams, shrimp and other inverts. I've had him since juvy so its gonna be hard to let go. Strangely though he doesn't seem interest in my other clams.

I'm going to have to sell my clam - which sucks!! big time

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Ashraf - I am really sorry to say - this is indeed a VERY destructive wrasse. Queen Coris Wrasse. I have had exactly one like that.

Beautiful and amazing fish! Just TERRIBLY TERRIBLY destructive! It eats invertebrates by nature.
    Personally, I don't think that it is after the clam at all....
    It is after the worms that lives below the clam. The bristle-worms.....

It might be nipping the abbysal foot of the clam - but, only to get to the worms.

Mine, picked up EVERY SINGLE piece of live rock, it can - and this bugger is STRONG! Believe - BEAUTIFUL fish - but it has NO place in a reef aquarium! Fish only for this guy. Try and catch him and sump him - or trade him at a LFS for something else....

He is most likely going to cause you a huge amount of heart-ache still....

Good luck mate.

6. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Yup - Every rock or coral introduced over the last few years attracts great attention from this guy. In fact my use of pratley putty is only because of him. I have no freeking clue how I'm going to catch him without absolute chaos!

I'm going to need help - Any ideas ? - or even better yet - do you think you can help me catch the bugger ?

7. jacquesb

LOL! I would not have mind, IF I HAD A DECENT WAY OF CATCHING HIM. It cost my take EVERYTHING out my tank, to catch him. Because EVERY time I tried catching the fish, it went under the sand.

Perhaps you can try and find where the fish sleeps (under the sand), and use a tupperware tub with a lid to try and catch it? Put the tupperware tub over the area on the sand - press the tub downwards, and try and slide the lid underneath the tub - while it is still in the sand?

This would be the ONLY way I can think of, to catch THIS bugger..... as it sleeps in the sand - and is as FAST as the proverbial "road-runner" ;)

8. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I see - So its "misson impossible" hey LOL!

Whats you thoughts on glueing down the clam - since thats the only thing he is going for right now. His fully matured so unless his learning to become "omberskof" all of a sudden I can kinda get used to leaving him in there - provided he doesnt go for my shrimp all of a sudden.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Eish....Dangerous wrasse to keep wit clams Ashraf. I had a Formosa in one of my old setups and it killed my Squamosa :(

10. Afsal

Afsal

yup def a queen coris , awesome colors but jasque put it perfectly , very destructive. try the coke bottle method to catch him

11. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I tried the coke bottle method to no avail, i'm now thinking about buying an aquamedic fish trap. I already got an offer for my clam.

12. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I cant catch this guy and he is really starting to become destructive all of a sudden:( - i've tried everything except the aquamedic fish trap - Anybody got experience with it. Does it work ?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I bought one to catch a juvenile tang, I put food in, I tried a mirror, he refused point blank to go into the trap, but my copperband loved it in there, he would swim in, sit there for a couple of minutes then swim out, but the one fish I needed to go in there just wouldn't, so it's a gamble if the fish goes in it or not.

14. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I got him

Yipee - I can report that the trap works. It took about 10mins, but he just could not resist a cube of bloodworm so he entered the trap and whala he was caught:thumbup:. Almost every fish entered the trap so it was a pain restoring the bait everytime.

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

amalick well the pain was worth the wait so what you gonna do with him now...

16. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Im gonna sell him, you will notice and add in the classified section. I dropped him off at a local LFS for sale, but if a member makes me an offer I will collect him again.

I did'nt want to put him in my QT tank since I have some corals in there at the moment.

17. Warr7207

Warr7207

Can you explain how the AM trap works ?

18. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

This link kinda explains it..

Fish trap is baited with some food and as soon as the desired fish has entered the trap the closing mechanism is simply released – by hand. The trap is constructed in such a way that when it is removed from the aquarium with the fish inside it remains half full of water. This method considerably reduces the stress on the fish.

Aqua Medic : Seawater Catalogue : Aqua Tools : Fish trap

19. jacquesb

Awesome Ashraf! I am SSSoooooo GLAD that you did not have to take your reef apart, to catch this bugger.

Recent Posts