Wrasse id

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
Hey guys i baught this wrasse yesterday from a lfs in Knysna,they say its a moon wrasse (thalassoma lunare)but im not sure,can anyone confirm for me thanx

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
looks like a type of fairy wrasse to me, one of the cirrhilabrus species.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just googled moon wrasse it does look similar, hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
On google the tail on the moon wrasse looked yellow, in the picture you posted it isn't - is it a juvenile or perhaps the pic doesn't show the tail so well?

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
Looks very similar to the Lyretail (Lunare/Moon) Wrasse - Thalassoma Lunare.

Edit: yea im right it is, heres a link for u Moon wrasse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some Additional Info;

Fish Statistics

Minimum Tank Size: 300 litres
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Coral Sea, Fiji, Maldives
Temp (C): 22-27 C
Max Size: 30cm
Family: Labridae
Reef Compatible: No
Temperament: Aggressive
pH: 8.1 - 8.4
Salinity:1.020-1.025
Care Level: Moderate

Link http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/SaltwaterAndMarineFish/Wrasse_fishonly/Lyretail_Wrasse

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
Yea np Mekaeel great minds think alike =]. Apparently these arent Reef Safe and will eat anything it can fit into its mouth. This includes Fish and Inverts.

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
shot storm and mekaeel now im worried only reason i baught him was the lfs looks very dodgy and he was in a small holding tank which looked terrible,looked like the fish would have died in a day or two so i came to the rescue,ill keep a close eye on him but for now he looks very happy

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Lindsay: I sympathize with you and i've often been to LFS's where I felt the urge to rescue fish. I mean the one shop had a REMORA in a small display tank it was literally the length of the tank! JUST CRUEL!

However if we continue to purchase and "rescue" animals from these shops, we are keeping them in business... We must stop supporting these people

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
sure thing matt i agree but damn my heart is to soft,mek he is about 3 inches long and ive been watching him and so far he"s behaving nicely so sure im going to give him the benafit of the doubt.Ive done alot of resurch on this wrasse and all sounds BAD to keep him,but lets see ;)