Wrasse compatibility.

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Uysster, 8 Aug 2015.

1. Uysster

Uysster

I guess I had to learn the hard and expensive way and ontop of this I feel so damn guilty!!!

After adding 3 new wrasses to my tank already housing a six line and hoping for too long (less than 24 hours.) that the bullying will subside my six line manged to kill off my adorned wrasse today, less than 24 hours after adding the adorned.

What makes me feel even more guilty is the fact that If I had done proper research in advance I would have read earlier about the six line's reputation... I only read this last night (Trying to find out what was wrong with these 3.) and removed the adorned too late. It died shortly after removing it.

Catching the six line before he manages to kill the flasher wrasse is practically impossible dont how how I'll do that without unpacking thr tank...

So I'm merely wring this post just to confirm that six line wrasses do indeed have compatibility issues with some other wrasses.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. VicZA

VicZA

how big is your tank ? Try to split your tank into a smaller section by using a temporary partition. Then if you have to take out some rock you only have to do it in that section.

Sorry about your loss ! I also love the wrasses but you do have to be very careful with selecting the right ones ... and also be wary of jumpers

Good luck !!

4. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

Its a custom built of about 180L with plenty rock work. (Thus the hassle to remove any fish.) and just as big a hassle to remove the rocks.

I'm not extremely worried about jumpers. Have a proper lid ontop.

Whats your opinion, should I try to get the six line out?

He has nipped at the cleaner wrasse, flasher wrasse and my new lawnmower blenny. He leaves the other inhabitants in peace, but new addittions seems to be a problem for him.

He seems to have calmed down a bit with the blenny and cleaner but I can see he's looking everywhere for the flasher, but the flasher is hiding in a small crevice.

5. VicZA

VicZA

personal opinion - I would take him out. I am about to do the same to a Bristle-tooth Tang that I have

6. jimilutz

jimilutz

It depends on how close to your stocking limit you are. If the tank is relatively empty, try moving him into the sump for a few weeks while you add the other fish. If you are close to the limit, just don't add any more wrasses, red or blue fish. One wrasse on a tank that size is enough to keep pests at bay.

7. Vilas

Vilas

Six lines are notorious bullies. I'd get him out if you can.

8. shaunn

shaunn

I could build you fish trap it never fails

9. shaunn

shaunn

10. duanead

duanead

Or try and catch him when the lights are out. They are easier to catch then

11. Ricky W

Ricky W

Also try put a mirror on the side of ur tank and it could distract the six line for a little while the new inhabitants can find a hiding place. But realize it is going to go for any new fish u add so fish trap is probably going to b the way to go

Recent Posts