WOW - No water changes on this beast of a tank

No connection between stocking levels and total phosphates?
not if you have adequate filtration, i have seen a tank stocked with 2 fish and have PO4 and NO3 issues

After reading threads like this and looking at how much crud is being pulled out by my skimmer, filter wool and phosguard. And bearing in mind i am dosing reef colours. Kh cal mag ala redsea and fuel as well as nitrobacter 7 on occassion i am questioning why am i doing waterchanges

After reading threads like this and looking at how much crud is being pulled out by my skimmer, filter wool and phosguard. And bearing in mind i am dosing reef colours. Kh cal mag ala redsea and fuel as well as nitrobacter 7 on occassion i am questioning why am i doing waterchanges

This is the same question I have been asking. I keep struggling to find a definative answer. What are your thoughts?

This is the same question I have been asking. I keep struggling to find a definative answer. What are your thoughts?

Maybe if one runs carbon to pull out possible toxins occassionally and check salinity. It should work with a supercharged skimmer!
My skimmer is rated for 1600 litre full sps tank and i am running it on my 1.2m tank so lets see how things go

Last edited:
I am going to try it for a while as i have a skimmer rated for a much bigger tank than i have

DSR

hi there folks

guest what, i found thread this when googling.....

welcome glennf
i follow your thread on RC and sent you many messages as well :)

your tank is amazing

yeah awesome tank really...
i havent done a water change i n my nano ofor over 4 months now and it seems like my corals are doing even better than before. i only dose the nrmal stuff like Ca, Alk and Mg when needed and feed the corals once a week.
filtration is come cotton wool, some activated carbon, ceramic rings, and some phosphate removing stones (seachem) i got from a friend that have been in the tank for so long im not even sure if they are still doing what they are supposed to and tyhe stock skimmer that came with the AQUARIA tank
i have a litle bit of green algae but thats all.. the mower blenny takes care of it.

Last edited:
hi there folks

A warm South African welcome to our our forum Glenn. :thumbup:

Btw, Mandarinman and Kie, I am only doing waterchanges when money ran out to buy additives ;) , if not for that, I do not do waterchanges :biggrin:

hi there folks

Hi Glenn, so very glad you've found us. Like Dallas said, we've been following your thread on RC. Great inspiration to us. Glad you joined us.

thats what everyone tells them to do :)

i will get shot for that....

all i know is that they cause in-stability and i can see it in my corals
i wont start this debate again, it goes no where
Bud I agree with the no water changes. I ran 2 tanks and never changed any water.
Only water one must change is :peroni:

yeah awesome tank really...
i havent done a water change i n my nano ofor over 4 months now and it seems like my corals are doing even better than before. i only dose the nrmal stuff like Ca, Alk and Mg when needed and feed the corals once a week.
filtration is come cotton wool, some activated carbon, ceramic rings, and some phosphate removing stones (seachem) i got from a friend that have been in the tank for so long im not even sure if they are still doing what they are supposed to and tyhe stock skimmer that came with the AQUARIA tank
i have a litle bit of green algae but thats all.. the mower blenny takes care of it.

Ca ,alk and mg is the start and can get you good result with soft corals, lps and some sps species.

If you fancy a sps tank it take some more effort.

For real optimal long time result with sps and acropora's you need more control and understanding of you water parameters

Last edited:
A warm South African welcome to our our forum Glenn. :thumbup:

Btw, Mandarinman and Kie, I am only doing waterchanges when money ran out to buy additives ;) , if not for that, I do not do waterchanges :biggrin:

Thanks!

Running without waterchanges is cheaper fo me because i don't have to buy expensive salt for wc.
At least here in the netherlands one bucket (25kilo) reef salt cost about 65-79 euro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom