Wow can't believe it's already been 6 months

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jairus1, 11 May 2016.

1. jairus1

jairus1

Feels like so so long ago that I moved over to the dark side (SPS) 6 months ago my tank was going in a whole other direction, used to walk into my LFS and walk straight past the SPS and go straight to softies. I had just about given up on chasing numbers and even used to go as far as specifically looking at corals that did well in nutrient rich water. Back then nitrates used to be at 50ppm and phosphates at 0.36ppm, I've gone through it all and bought everything from nopox to all in one biopellets to 80% water changes but nothing worked. For me I got to a point of accepting that my reef would consist of mushrooms, leathers, star pollops etc. Today I run a successful reef tank and it's only now that I put the comparative photo side by side that I realise how far I've come in only 6 months and spending less than a third of what I spend back then trying to sort out nutrient issues. Today my nitrates are on 0ppm and phosphates on 0.02ppm. Today I sit in front of my tank and say " wow this was so easy"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
    EFJ and waynee like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kender

Kender Charl

Well done, what have you changed in order to achieve the sps tank?

4. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

stopped using nopox and biopellets and switched over to vinegar/glucose dosing. Then started dosing amino acids, reef pearls, aqauviro fuel, Randy's recipes for alk, calcium and MG. And no water changes lol

r0ckf1re likes this.
  5. CameL

CameL

Wow bud well done :)

6. Dimi943

Dimi943

Awesome results! Do you have a particular dosing schedule that you followed? Did anything respond negatively to the low nutrient system?

7. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

Well done Jairus that v/c dosing really doing the trick.

8. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Wow, big difference for sure. Looking much more colourful and healthier.:thumbup:

9. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, @Dimi943 yes there has been a certain schedule that I have followed with this method. First and foremost the vinegar/glucose dosing was the first phase of the schedule. I had started on 15ml's twice per day for 7 days to see how it went. I was advised that if there was no whitish milky layer that formed on my glass then I was to increase the dosage. I then increased to dosage till I reached 30ml's twice daily until the milky layer formed on my glass. At this point because my phosphates were very low my nitrates were at a imbalance (so to say) I then switched off the fluidized reactor with the rowaphos to increase phosphates in order to decrease nitrates lol. Once this was done the nitrates started to drop and I could then turn the rowaphos back on. At this point I was now ready to start phase 2 of the program, which is feeding the tank and at this stage you WILL also play around with your lcd to get the balance of lcd vs what you putting back into your tank to keep your nutrients at a low to uln level. So , at this point Every night I feed reef pearls/reef roids, vinegar/glucose is now at 40ml's twice per day(that is my ratio to keep my nitrate at 0ppm and phosphate at 0.03 or less) , every 4 days amino acids, every 7 days reef colours A, B, C, and D, every 7 days aquaviro fuel. Daily I dose 100ml alk ( Randy's recipe) to keep it at around 8 - 8.2 ; 100ml calcium (Randy's recipe) to keep it at 380ppm , just started the MG (Randy's recipe) couple of days ago so only dosing 50ml 4 days ago and still working out tank consumption on that. Some comparison graphs of my progress below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

No negative impacts on fish or coral with these changes to the tank. I forgot to mention in previous post that I have also been doing the micro bubble method in my tank since December and I have also not had any negative impacts on my tank. My water does look clearer and my Acro's do love it. I can especially see a difference with frags that I have just cut, they heal much faster and their colour returns within a day or 2.

11. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

Beautiful system.

Please explain the micro bubbles

Will be tagging along.

12. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

in a nutshell, you attach a limewood airstone to the intake of your return pump and your return pump then the the bubbles up even smaller before it enters your water column. This micro/nano bubbles then work through your tank lifting all crap out of your tank and down to your skimmer. This process also polishes your water and leaves it crystal clear and you will notice a fresh ocean smell around your tank. SPS releases excess slime and from what I've noticed encourages growth and healthy pollop extentions. That's basically the short method on the process. If you want more detailed in the process then send me a pm and I can put you in touch with Cruz and Brian who are pioneers in this method and they will gladly provide you with more information. Brian has also posted a video on his dyi nano bubble maker and I've seen this thing in his tank first hand and is really simple to make and apply.

13. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

Great thx.

Will contact you.

What vodka dosing calc did you use?

How long did it take to start working?

14. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

don't use any vodka calculator because I'm not using vodka

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I tested this on my tank, but with normal airstone as I could not find a limewood airstone yet. The bubbles that do enter the display was not enough or too big and rose to the surface rather quickly. Or my airpump is too small.

16. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

Vinegar sorry.

17. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

Last edited: 12 May 2016
  18. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

not the same size bubbles, the only thing that I'm aware of that produces a small enough bubble is the limewood airstone.

19. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

Okay cool.

So what all do you use to reduce your nutrients.

20. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

just vinegar/glucose and rowaphos to boost the reduction in phosphate

21. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

if you look at the graph I posted earlier you will see that the major drop in nitrate happened towards the end of February. I started lcd 1st February

Recent Posts