Would you be offended ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 23 Jun 2012.

1. FransSny

FransSny

This one is a tricky one and if perceived inappropriate by any member or mod , please feel free to close .

I have "steered " away many a customer from making the wrong purchase (as has most sponsors on MASA).

Unfortunately this weekend I have had a very adamant in starting marines. Usually I would be happy but there are a few practical issues.

1. Tank needs to be running by Wednesday ...gift for a kid so nemo is included
    2. No previous experience in keeping any fish
    3. outlaying area ..so water & power might be an issue
    After selling my last TL550 , the customer opted to take a TL450 (I did explain the involvement in maintaining smaller systems)...

As a new & exited reefer , how would you like to be let down softly...and yes , I did do the whole cycle , paramaters etc speech.

As all other shops we have to make living but not at the expense of LS , on the other hand I would like to hear how members would have preffered to be treated when venturing into the hobby

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

i would try inform them firmly again that what they intend to try, will not work and will be abuse to the organisms he wishes to keep.

with every living thing, it takes time before its ready to go into someones home and care, a puppy for example canont be removed from its mother before a certain age, and shouldnt be removed much before the 8th week of life. a tank isnt realy much different and allowing it to grow into a size that means it can survive to a degree on its own is of vital importance, but personally I wouldnt sell that tank under the intentions you describe above.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

I think telling people the truth is the best, but some okes dont care about the livestock

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I know guys like that on the forum :whistling:

6. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Damn , if only I could explain this to people without swearing...lickily the missus takes over when I get irritated when people want to take chances with live animals.

My son actually gave me the best idea...seeing that I am sold out of TL 550's .....the price has gone up to R 10 000 per tank...supply and demand they say :lol:

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Personally I would prefer the LFS to tell me straight that my idea is a bad one.

I think as a LFS you have kept up your end of business, you have advised against the dangers of not cycling, advised against rushing.

The bottom line is the Customer is always right even when he is wrong. From the sounds of it this customer has all intentions of gettting Nemo. If the cant get Nemo from you by wednesday, he WILL get it elsewhere.

This person is only worried about making his kid happy and no worried about the wellfair of the fish.

8. noproblem

noproblem

I think that a need Nemo by Wednesday client would struggle to keep a goldfish alive.

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Agreed

The customer might always be king ,but not always right (sorry if I offend any peeps out there), but @butcherman , you are probably right, they will get it elsewhere..another sad day in reefing

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. marine101

marine101

what about those fake nemo fish that work with a battery, those are cool for kids as well

11. JDV

JDV

In my opinion, there are 2 problems with this scenario. Please this is my opinion I don’t want to offend some and I hate animal abuse. 1, the parent has too much money and don’t know what to do with it and secondly the child rules the house and gets what it wants. I don’t think there is anything any lfs or store can do to change the parents mind. The bad part the poor animal will pay the price. This happens with dogs cats any form of pet. This is quite hard sore. As to what to tell the client? Tell it through the animal’s, point of view try to appeal to the hart regarding the pets welfare, so when the client walks away that you at least know you tried your best. If you don’t sell it to them they will get it somewhere else.

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

mmmm .... What about taking the plunge and being straight with the customer in giving the cold hard facts as to whats going to happen ..... Yes granted if he really wants to get it from elsewhere then so be it BUT YOU WILL SLEEP PEACEFULLY! And don't be afraid to spell it out for him that your conscience will be clear knowing that you didn't cause some poor creature's demise ... You never know he might see the light and respect you for being forthright and straight and still do the deal .... And by Wednesday you CAN have his tank up and running and cycling .... All the best with this situation .......

13. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Yip Its a crap one.

We had to say many times in the past no , you cant do it... and the guy looks at you like you just kicked his dog !
    And yes they do just go somewhere else to get what they want ,I try quickly log on and show them the tanks they want on the forum - mandarinman and Len for example and say this is a long term project with ....30 pages of updates and 1000snds of people viewing the post to help and learn.
    But it doesn't always work...

We had a customer who bought salt and a sun sun from a lfs last week and came in to us for a fish and with the question " whet else do I need ?"
    Normally I love those questions :)
    After a few questions, he has a 2 foot tank ( 60 liter ) and was told, it must just have a wave maker heater and his old fresh water filter would be fine... if running empty for a week.

After I told him the upgrade needed for the conversion to keep the fish happy , not just for them to survive - he left and walking away he said loud enough for me and a few customers to hear " come boy - lets go to the other shop for our fish "

You're a good guy so you rather sell him what he wants within reason and with a written plan for his tank in the line of additives and supplements...and tell him to call you for more info when he has problems because you know his tanks history and should then be best qualified to help until he realizes he needed a battery backup system and goods he didn't buy in the beginning .

That way you kept the guy in the hobby - didn't lie from the start, and made a responsible sale as the next lfs might have said "These things happen , try again" and again and again - until he gives the hobby up.

Cant please all of the people all of the time.

14. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Very interesting read and all the responses.
    I guess like everything , no one wants to wait and are impatient about everything
    I guess it's human nature and I am sure everyone has rushed something , even after being told not too.

If it was me I would tell the client, (this is cruel to ls) but we know that they will get it anywhere they can, but tell them "what are you going to tell your sons when the fish dies."
    I am sure they will be more disturbed seeing a dead fish, then not getting one for there birthday.

15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Wow that's rough Frans hope you can knock some sense into that customer by Wed.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

I say just tell them the truth, if they still want to buy the stuff then you cant refuse the sale as you did your duty. If you refused the sale they would just go else where. Some people think they know too much and it can be frustrating when you can see they are doing the wrong things, you tell them that but they insist they are right. Lol thats why I just smile and wave :) haha

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I wanted to say that....
    OK, a few other guys did as well.

Thing is, its not a bicycle you buy for your kids birthday. Stop by a shop, and quickly swipe your card and load it in.

Anyway, telling people with thick wallets or skulls what they should do, will never work. Neither telling people who are, in Afrikaans the saying is "Hoorende doof" (they can hear but they hear nothing).

At the end of the day, some other shop made a sale, not you Frans. And some other little fish will pay the price, not the one from your shop. You still got your monthly expenditures to cover. So yes, not what I want to say, but I'm saying it, you need to survive. You need cards flashed and swiped. Be it at he to the extend that lifestock suffers due to "client" not listening or not caring. But yes, you do feel morally obliged to reject the sale.

I just wonder, its not a cheap birthday present. What did that kid get last year? And is he still playing with it? (or using or whatever)

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

print a pamphlet on recommended best practice when setting up a marine tank. With a warnings of bad practices and why they are bad.have a space for purchase date and what must follow on aftwr setup and time periods involved. The type of person that is so insistant on having it their way no ,atter what the xonsequence will bad moith you after the fish dies. Rather sell them a tank and a voucher for the fish to follow

19. mupwi

mupwi

I think sell him the tank and the rest but keep the ls ina holding tank untill the yank is cycled t:thumbup:hen at least the kid can com see his present at your shop and visit it till his tank is cycled at which point he can take it home these visits would also be a good time to educate the kid about the hobby and maby intrest them in some further sales ;)

20. Greg Bridger

Greg Bridger

The best idea yet.

21. Afsal

Afsal

Is there any chance you have some cycled water/live rock that you can sell to him ?

Recent Posts