Would this sump be ok

Reaction score
ok so i decided to strip the sump that came with the tank and rebuild it as it was built wrong previously( skimmer and return pump were in last chamber)
Let me know if this would be ok?

Reaction score
Would that not be the bubble trap? and would removing it cause bubbles to enter the main display?

Reaction score
hey, am i correct in thinking that the sump will be filled to as high as the DSB walls from the skimmer side at the rate of flow of the skimmer right? that way the water kind of just seeps through, then when that compartment fills up it will pour over to the pump side and back up to the tank? so its two panes of glass stopping the sand from moving. And basically the sand converts the nitrates and nitrites to nitrogen which will leave through the air? I've been trying to read up as much as possible so i could try avoid the fatal mistakes i am extremely prone to but i was just confused about this.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
hey, am i correct in thinking that the sump will be filled to as high as the DSB walls from the skimmer side at the rate of flow of the skimmer right? that way the water kind of just seeps through, then when that compartment fills up it will pour over to the pump side and back up to the tank? so its two panes of glass stopping the sand from moving. And basically the sand converts the nitrates and nitrites to nitrogen which will leave through the air? I've been trying to read up as much as possible so i could try avoid the fatal mistakes i am extremely prone to but i was just confused about this.
Here is a good read about DSB's

DSB Setup for Beginners - Biological/Natural Filtration

Reaction score
thanks jacques, will buy the silicone with weekend seal it up and hopefully by next week start with the water