Would this solve my GHA problem?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by King_Triton, 28 Oct 2014.

1. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hey Guys,

Been a while since my last post... Hope everyone is doing well.

I have an issue with GHA. I recently setup my 1000L system, and I notice that the GHA is growing really badly and thick on my old rocks.

Now I have made a mistake when starting up my first tank by not curing the dead rock which was in another system prior to my startup. I can clearly see that this old rock is holding a lot of phosphates as the new rock added in this time is still fresh and algae free.

If I had to move the problematic rocks to a compartment in my sump and cover the sump to avoid any light getting to the rocks help to rid the rocks of algae? Or would i need to remove the rock from the system completely and cure it seperatley in another container?

What other advice can you guys give me to rid the old rock of built up phospates without killing the life in the rock?

TIA :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

It sounds like your rocks are leaching phosphates. The hair algae is just using this up....

If you still use the same rocks in the same system you will still have the phosphates in your system to fuel algae growth weather they grow on the old rocks or elsewhere in the tank. so NO that wont solve the problem.

I would remove the rocks that are leaching altogether. Place them in a bucket, old tank or something and cycle them until the leaching has come down to a managable level.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2014
  4. King_Triton

King_Triton Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... so does this mean that i just gotta keep going until all the phos is used up by the algae?

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

can you tolerate that??

Get a bucket and a hang on skimmer and cycle the rocks out of your system. far less painful and ugly.

You have to export those nutrients either way. if you leave it in you tank you will need to skim heavily, manually remove as much as you can and maybe look towards chemical methods of phosphate removal some of which can be costly and still take a fair amount of time.

6. King_Triton

Absolutley not... Guess I would have to cycle them out of my system. Manual removal is a pain and only helps so much.

7. Stony

Stony

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. King_Triton

Very interesting @Stony... thanks for the link...

What amounts did you dose? I have used peroxide on GHA before and kills it almost immediately.. however i used this as a target treatment and not dosing into my tank. Remember over doing it once and the next day my corals looked like shit . lol

9. Stony

Stony

@King_Triton

I used the 1ml per 38L dose as mentioned in the link for 5 days and then went up to 1.5ml for 5 days and it worked great.

I've switched to dosing the same amount once a week and there is no sign of algae in my tank....

10. Skumbuza

Skumbuza

lol dude.. i feel your pain.. im suffering with exactly the same issue !!
    i'm also taking the h202 (hydrogen peroxide) route....
    ive been advised to mix a 1 to 2 parts water, bomb it in a spray bottle.
    take the affected rock out, spray it and put the rocks back..
    well let you know how it goes..
    whatever you end up doing, keep us posted.. i'll do the same.

11. Skumbuza

Skumbuza

just be careful if you have any shrimps..
    i've put nothing into practice with h202 before so praying i don't lose any livestock in the process.

12. King_Triton

Hey guys.. So heres a small update on what effect the h2O2 had on my critters last night. So my system is around 950L total volume and i dosed about 8ml. After about 30 mins, my giant mushroom shrunk and so did my kenya tree... everything else was okay, including shrimp. All fish, my eel, shrimp, my anenome and LPS corals all fed normally. Will continue with it and see how it goes. I guess its dosed in small enough amounts to rectify any abnormalitites with a major water change if need be. Will also tear up as much GHA by hand as possible.

13. VicZA

VicZA

interesting ... also battling with algae at the moment and this is definately an option to try. A few questions:

1 - I now dose NOPOX, can I stop dosing that and change to h2o2 immediately ?
    2 - Is the dosage for system water volume (i.e DT dimensions + Sump dimansions - rock and equipment)
    3 - What Hydrogen peroxide (%vol) did you use ?
    4 - Does it affect SPS, LPS, Nennies ?
    5 - When is it best to dose ? Day, Night ?
    6 - Will it also kill off beneficial algae and potentially starve things like snails ?
    7 - When the algae dies does it just dissapear or does it break off the rock and float away ?

14. King_Triton

1 - I now dose NOPOX, can I stop dosing that and change to h2o2 immediately ?
    I do not have any experience using NOPOX so not sure. But i decided to only dose h2O2 so I can identify any negative effects of it alone.
    2 - Is the dosage for system water volume (i.e DT dimensions + Sump dimansions - rock and equipment)
    Yes, thats how I am calculating it. I went below the recommended dose though and will slowly increase to not shock the system
    3 - What Hydrogen peroxide (%vol) did you use ?
    I think the one i use is like 3%.. i stand to be corrected. will confirm tonight. Its from link pharmacy.
    4 - Does it affect SPS , LPS , Nennies ?
    So far nothing has been affected extrememly. Apart ffrom the shrinking of a kenya tree and giant mushroom, everything else was fine. see my previous post. I only have 2 colonies of birds nest, and they were fine.
    5 - When is it best to dose ? Day, Night ?
    I am dosing at night. My thoughts are that most inverts close at night, so it might not affect them as much than dosing during the day. also from seeing the giant mushroom shrink, I would not like that haqppening when it supposed to be photosynthesizing.
    6 - Will it also kill off beneficial algae and potentially starve things like snails ?
    This i am not so sure of. I think it will to an extent so I was considering some carbon dosing at teh same time to maybe help neutralise this. I remember seeing pods and other critters creeping outta holes in LR when i used h2O2 with a syringe directly.
    7 - When the algae dies does it just dissapear or does it break off the rock and float away ?
    From past uses, it would bubble up and you could peal it off, any small bits left would get eaten by snails and hermits. This was with targeted use though and not dosing.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2014
  15. Stony

Stony

Sounds about right, the first time I dosed my tank the polyps closed almost immediately and now they go on like nothing changed.

You should start to see a major difference over the weekend.

16. Stony

Stony

@VicZA

[​IMG]
    1 - Not sure what the effect will be, I would consult someone with more knowledge on NOPOX
    2 - I also used my total system volume
    3 - You get 3 different dilutions at our local pharmacies: 3% (10 Volume), 6% (20 Volume) and 12% (40 Volume). Rather start with the 3% as mentioned in the link above.
    4 - Had no negative effect on mine.
    5 - I dosed at night to keep the affect to anything else as low as possible.
    6 - I've been dosing my tank for almost 3 weeks now and everything is still happy including my snails
    7 - I think it dissolves away and gets skimmed out as my skimmer worked overtime during the process

17. VicZA

VicZA

thanks @King_Triton and @Stony - I am off to Joburg until November 10th so will leave any new dosing to when I get back (will continue with NOPOX for now) and see how it goes.

Please keep us updated on your progress ... will check back with interest.

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

guys just be-careful dosing to remove algae, algae grows due to nutrients, so altering your water chemistry with every product under the sun is not advisable, either remove rock and clean, choose one additive to dose, or live with it...

remember stability is key, do changes slow and one at a time

19. Riaanv

Riaanv

I cannot agree more with the above, your live rock is possibly leaching phosphate, the algae is getting some nitrate from somewhere as well. I assume you are also still feeding the system, thereby adding, skimming taking out etc. Eventually the rocks will get empty if you keep the levels in the water column "low"

Removing the algae or killing it is likely to make things worse - the algae is using what you do not want in your water. A skimmer cannot help you with P&N in water. By killing the algae it will build up even faster. If the algae is overgrowing corals then removal is needed.

Had a similar issue, I increased my methods of removing P&N slowly until it started to level out, eventually the algae started dying by itself due to a shortage of N&P (probably about 6 weeks, I was willing to wait). At this point I started removing pieces that were falling off rocks

But everyone has their own ways and prefferences

20. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Can use an algae scrubber if you want to get rid of it in a more natural way.
    I've never used one but heard rave reviews about it.

21. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Recent Posts