Worth getting?

dallasg

Reaction score
I can across a electronic desktop meter that measures PH, temp. ORP and TDS for about R2900 incl VAT

anything in particular i have to look for? its lab quality

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I can across a electronic desktop meter that measures PH, temp. ORP and TDS for about R2900 incl VAT

anything in particular i have to look for? its lab quality
Do you have a link to this? it may help to judge the piece of kit.

dallasg

Reaction score
it also measure salinity
Bench Top Meter

if its good i can get it tomorrow, it even has a printer

dallasg

Reaction score
yip, and got 10% discount

dallasg

Reaction score
waiting for them to reply, in the region of R400 i think
will update in the morning....

think its worth the buy, ph, temp, orp, tds and salinity instantly with print outs as rs232

Reaction score
Need to find out life expectency on the probes.

And really talking, probably wouldn't use the Temp. So, for say R3500 (inc ORP probe) you get pH, ORP, TDS and SG, Probably worth it if its good quality!

martin

Reef Adict
Reaction score
Very interesting keep us informed ;-)

dallasg

Reaction score
i get 10% discount, trade
is the ORP probe really needed?

dallasg

Reaction score
from the supplier
All probes are standard for both meters and we do carry spares. Basically because of the small price difference we are dropping the AZ86505 from our range and only stocking the one model.

AZ86P3 spare pH electrode ………………… R 625.00 excl VAT – in stock
AZ86P5 optional ORP electrode …………… R 1,261.00 excl VAT – in stock
AZ8306P spare EC/TDS/Salt probe ………… R 636.00 excl VAT – in stock
AZ1051TA optional AC adapter for 86555 … R 195.00 excl VAT – in stock

If the probes are looked after, rinsed after use and stored correctly they could last years. Also depends on what you are measuring, harsh acid or alkaline solution could reduce the probe life while ordinary tap or sea water will have a much longer life span. The pH glass bulb must never get dry, always store it in a pH storage solution or even ordinary tap water will do.

Yes you can leave them in tank 24/7 but be aware that these probes are not submersible, only the sensing part can be immersed, the back part where cable comes out must be above water and kept dry.

dallasg

Reaction score
would this be a good buy now? or should i wait

Reaction score
Wait till you start running a calcium reactor, then you want something that you can check the pH really easy and as often as you want.

At present you not going have much that will be consuming Calcium or Alk and in turn effecting your pH. Keep it simple and get the wicked kit later

IMO

Reaction score
Yup, this sounds like a pretty good buy - desktop meters are usually much more pricey.

Just make sure that you get the probes required for the tests - I see that the ORP probe is optional extra, but what about the conductivity, TDS, Temperature and salt metering probes?

One thing that they are not truthful with, though, is the statement that the pH probe could last for years. these probes are filled with chemicals which react with the solution the probe is testing, and in so doing creates a small current flow, like a battery. Even if you do not do any testing, the chemical reactions in the probe still continues, and the chemicals are depleted. When used, this is made worse by the chemicals inside the probe actually leaching out into the solution being tested. To my knowledge, the best "gel" type industrial probes could last about 18 months to two years, but normal "lab-grade" probes rarely last for more than a year.

Yes you can leave them in tank 24/7 but be aware that these probes are not submersible, only the sensing part can be immersed, the back part where cable comes out must be above water and kept dry.
If the probe is not sealed water tight, then I would not recommend that you use it permanently mounted in the tank/sump, as salt creep WIL find it's way into the electrical connection and ruin the probe.

Wait till you start running a calcium reactor, then you want something that you can check the pH really easy and as often as you want.
If you do, a pH CONTROLLER will be a much more useful instrument than a mere meter.

Hennie

Reaction score
One thing that they are not truthful with, though, is the statement that the pH probe could last for years. these probes are filled with chemicals which react with the solution the probe is testing, and in so doing creates a small current flow, like a battery. Even if you do not do any testing, the chemical reactions in the probe still continues, and the chemicals are depleted. When used, this is made worse by the chemicals inside the probe actually leaching out into the solution being tested. To my knowledge, the best "gel" type industrial probes could last about 18 months to two years, but normal "lab-grade" probes rarely last for more than a year.

If you do, a pH CONTROLLER will be a much more useful instrument than a mere meter.

Hennie
Hennie, I'm busy building a pH controller to run my CaRX, The probes that you get from the LPS, are the worth buying?

Last edited: