Worst tanks you've seen

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Lord_Blackadder, 17 Mar 2015.

1. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I recently saw the worst designed tank in the history of the world. Supposedly designed and maintained by a local company. I didn't ask which one. The owner didn't know much about tanks and thought the following was normal:

- 150cm length x 60cm width x 75cm height. Only 10mm glass. I was nervous to stand near it.

- Undersized protein skimmer could only be inserted/removed by emptying the sump and pulling it out from underneath the tank. The owner didn't know that the skimmer wasn't working anyway.

- Filtration was a (blocked) canister filter and two drip filter overflows which may have contained filter media (probably bioballs, I couldn't see with all the diatoms). 20 year old technology on a 2 year old tank.

- Sump did not have enough volume to hold the excess water from the display, so if it had been recently topped up (which only happened once a week), it would flood the floor when the power went off. He replaced his carpets with tiles because of this.

- "Live rock" consisting of mostly blocks of local worm rock, which is basically half phosphate.

- Owner was told that a single 150W 6500k halide was enough for an anemone at the bottom of the tank, and that the anemone was meant to be white. There weren't any fish left, unsurprisingly.

- Previous recommended inhabitants consisted of a large lionfish and large picasso trigger together with various small fish.

Anyone seen worse? :whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Ive seen a 200 X 60 X 60 in 8mm glass. The owners cousins uncles neighbour had built it for him..it was his first big tank build

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When I started this marine path, I taken over my brothers 500L system. He never found any forums and went by what his shop told him.

This is the skimmer on that 500L system
    [​IMG]

Tank was started with tap water, just add the salt. According to the LFS instructions. Evaporation top ups was also just more tap water.

Plus the shop did sell him an anemone. Which died.

That shop is still in business today. :eek:

5. NO3

NO3

you kidding!!!

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

this is scary...

i used to maintain tanks for a restaurant, they had the tank completed by thurs eve, filled and stocked with 40 fish for the opening the next day, i was there 2 days later eating and offered to help out, and it landed up being my problem coz the "maintenance" company said all will be fine

7. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I haven't seen or heard of worse. I feel sorry for the business that trusted the company to build and stock such an atrocity because they were clearly taken advantage of. :m26:

EDIT: I know I am going slightly off topic but is the owner doing anything to fix the tank or are they happy with the current "workings" of the tank?

Last edited: 17 Mar 2015
  8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder Thread Starter

Well I gave him advice about a few changes to make, but a lot of the issue is just really, really poor design from the start. The tank was custom built in place with a brick stand that is far too low, the holes are drilled in bad places and the glass isn't thick enough. It basically just needs to be torn down and started over, which I doubt he'll want to do.

tekkengal likes this.
  9. NO3

NO3

Those last couple of lines will hurt him badly especially when you think abt what he paid for it!!

10. mitchel

mitchel

When I started I was also bulls&$@ed about starting up my tank. The dumass also sold me used t5 light. Told me I can add a bit a live rock in my 4 foot tanks add fish corals and in a few months time add more live rock. I lost a lot of fish. To top it off the said after a few month of adding ca to the tank I wouldn't have to add anymore cause the corals will start looking after the tank.

11. Uettnerw

Uettnerw

Amazing. More amazing - these shops/guys still being in business...

Recent Posts