Worried about my YW Goby

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HaroldF, 11 Sep 2013.

1. HaroldF

HaroldF

Hi everyone ...
    I'm a bit worried about my Yellow watchman Goby ... Got him 2 weeks back ...
    From the start he was hiding under the rocks quite allot .... The past few days, I've seen him come out a bit more, but it looks like it's starting to get thinner and thinner ...
    It looks like he's not getting any food (the amount of pods in the tank is probably not enough to feed him)
    This evening I saw him sitting under one of the rocks, gasping allot ...
    Can I maybe try and target feed him tomorrow, and WHAT can I feed him?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how many other fish is around. Could be that he is afraid of them, otr one of them could target him as he tries to venture out.

4. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

Nope ...don't see any problems ....only two small clowns ...minding their own business, a foxface ...not even going close to the goby when he's out ...and a cleaner shrimp
    I see the goby comes out a bit more when the lights are out ...but when he sits on the sand, he "breathes heavy" ...almost as if he was being chased around alot ...but that's not the case ...

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

hopefully he is still settling in.
    Obvious that he is still very skittish .

6. CharlieB

CharlieB

Hi @HaroldF, I also got 2 yw gobies about 2 weeks ago. From day one the one has looked strong and comes out to eat (but is still very shy and I hardly see him) so he is not a problem but the other one looked like he was going to die. He was very thin and swimming around very weakly, almost as if his head was 2 big for his body. I was sure he was going to die as he never ate as well. He has finally settled under a rock with the other goby but I never see him come out! All I see is his little head at the back entrance to their cave so I just spot feed him now by putting some sinking pellets into the entrance of the cave and pushing it in before any other fish gets it. So far he is still alive and they both now seem to eat anything I give them. So I would definitely try spot feed if you don't see yours coming out to eat. Good luck!

Ps.. None of my fish go near them but they still very skittish.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

OK ...some good news .... got some shrimp, dosed with garlic ... spot fed to the goby .... and it took about 5 or 6 of the shrimp! :thumbup:
    Apart from the cleaner shrimp, that almost "attacked" the end of the tube when the shrimp came out, none of the other fish are interested ... so I had a shit load of shrimp floating around in the tank ....think I'll have to go and clean out the filtersock ...
    But I'm VERY happy that the goby took some food ...
    Tomorrow I will only give it maybe 1/4 of the frozen block ...:biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had a pair Lagoon Gobies which I never saw. Last time I did see them was 3 months or maybe even more. Stripped the tank and took them out. They were so thin, cannot believe it.

They moved to a nano cube. With no big fish that can bother them. They like the frozen mysis. Now they are fat. The male
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Sep 2013
  9. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

Goie nuus man...:thumbup:

Recent Posts