Working with PVC pipes.A step by step guide

Reaction score
Building profesional looking pipe work using PVC is simple and fast if you follow this simple step by step guide.All you need is a hacksaw and a nice sharp knife.A roll of masking tape will help us to work accurately.When you buy your fittings make sure you buy PVC weld as well as some PVC cleaner.
233478d93908a18c.jpg

great idea zookeeper i thing lots of people will benefit from this

233478d9390a37c1.jpg

The first step is to ensure that our pipe is cut at a 90 deg angle.Use the masking tape as your guide.

233478d9390c0c78.jpg

Always use a new blade for each project,to ensure a nice clean cut.Slowly cut along the edge of the tape.

233478d9390efa67.jpg

Use a sharp knife to carefully shave the rough edges of the pipe.Do not worry it`s simpler than it looks.With a bit of practise it should only take a few seconds.

you love running in the middle of diy jobs:lol:

Great Zookeeper, If you dont mind when you done I would like to turn this into a wiki page for MASApedia

Ooooooooooh the suspense.......how long must we wait:lol:

Cheers ZK, another very simple step by step guide

233478d941b8f784.jpg

Carefully dry fit the joint,making sure the pipe enters all the way to the bottom of the fitting.

233478d939144c3d.jpg

Here is another important step.We want our work to look good,after all our friends are all going to be inspecting our handy work.Tape up both sides of the joint then we do not have to worry about messing the PVC weld.

233478d93915d282.jpg

Allways mark your joints.When the PVC weld is added you will only get one chance at fitting the joint.Let me make it clear,the bond is almost instant,you will have no chance to rectify a mistake.Number the joints because it`s going to be confusing when you pull all those pipes and fittings apart for glueing.

233478d93905578a.jpg

PVC cleaner is available from the store where you bought your fittings.Most guys neglect this important step,and then complain thet the joint`s are leaking.I think I`ve had this bottle since around 2001 .Give both parts a good wipe with a clean cloth soaked with the cleaner.

233478d941b78090.jpg
233478d941b415ec.jpg

Now the easy part.Apply the PVC weld to both surfaces.It`s a messy job but don`t worry that`s why we taped up the joint with the masking tape.Have a look around when you buy the PVC weld, some of the tins have a very handy brush type applicator.The brush will help you to work more accurately.I would normally not use the one that comes in a tube but it`s all my local hardware store had in stock.

233478d941b5bbd3.jpg

Firmly assemble the joint.You will have only one chance here,so make sure that your arrows lineup.Use the tape as your guide and then you can be sure that the joint is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom