wooden flooring?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Travis1, 13 Nov 2009.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

howsit guys. my place is still under renovations, taking longer than expected due to businesses taking a knock. my vrou wants wooden flooring. will the flooring be able to take the weight? bare in mind that there is a concrete slab underneath! i have a 4 foot tank at present.

thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

If there's concrete under the flooring then no problem. Mine is on wooden flooring and I just put a piece of superwood under the metal stand and the exact size of the stand to absorb any imperfections and protect the floor from spills. Also get your tank builder to factor the height of the superwood in so you dont have a piece of your stand sticking out because of the extra height. I changed my tank in the past and when I moved the first one the floor was fine, just a little dust at the back

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depending on the stand feet. A 4 foot will be under 300kg (1.2*.4*.4 plus rocks) and then adding the sump water and DSB (wet sand is heavy).
    So I reckon it should be under 500kg.

So 500kg on 4 small diameter feet? (depend on stand design). Ask the supplier of the wooden flooring if it can handle that.

My guess is that the tank will leave indentations. Have to put something flat to increase the footprint of each foot to distribute the weight better.

Other thing is. How many times did you mess water this year?

5. manta

manta

Should be fine. I have a 1.2m tank standing on laminated flooring which is also on a concrete slab. In my previous house with same floor setup stood for 4 years with no prob.

6. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

thanks for the replies guys. water spillage mite also be a problem. but i will speak to the guys who are installing the floors and ask them bout the weight etc.. or i must jst put tiles down, and live with the it....

Recent Posts