wooden floor

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Difficult marine, 8 Jun 2009.

1. Difficult marine

Difficult marine

hi guy
    Any reefer have experience for wooden floor..... how much weight can take....my wooden floor underneath was hollow...i have 500l at the momont...i want to up grade the size of tank....but i am worry the floor cannot stand.....any advice appreciate

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. IMarine

IMarine

Hi friend i have also got wooden floors i will not take the chance,rather cut out the section of the floor and fill up with rubble and cement,but you will need somebody that knows what to do,not worth the risk

4. crispin

crispin

hmmm this is a worry for me as well as I am redoing the underfloor heating in the house and then laying a new wooden floor, but i am not certain where i want the tank to stand and the floor needs to be laid now. any one with experience in this would be greatly appreciated

5. Tony

Tony

I have my tank on a wooden, laminate floor but bear in mind that mine is laid over a concrete floor and it is not hollow under the floor. I've placed a piece of superwood under the frame of the tank to distribute the weight evenly and not only on stress points and it's been fine for ages. It's a 800 litre system with the sump, but not counting the rocks which add another 200kg

6. Boendoe

Boendoe

Taging this one, my wife want wooden floors.

7. crispin

crispin

there lies my problem, i will have a supporting wooden bean structure under the laminate and the under floor water pipes, so no real strength. i can strngthen the section under tank before I put floor boards in, but thats limiting me to where i can place the tank :( i'll have to chat to some guys here as well and see what they think the load baring will be. You recon your 1.8 is just on or over a tonne dead weight?

8. crispin

crispin

so do you, or tiles.....much easier to clean up water spills that that thick pile carpet or rug.....that saves endless issues the wife has with your tank being where it is :p

9. Tony

Tony

The wooden floors clean easy and don't swell. I've spilt lots of water over time

10. Tridan

Tridan

If you guys can give dims of the tanks and proposed or existing timber sizes i can work out a bracing scenario for you. Crispin are you taking out a old floor and replacing with new? Difficult marine i take it that your floor is in place, can you get acces to the floor cavity? If so let me know i have more questions for you

11. crispin

crispin

tridan naggg i'm going the lazy route, i have real time issues (has to be done before winter hits and in Norway thats always around the corner:() and the old floor has old newspaper and isolation stuffed in for warmth, so would have to rip that out to....over a 360m2 floor that did not sound like fun. I am simply adding water pipes and then a new floor ontop of the old one and then redoing all the doors.

i will loose 3-6cm in space but as I am a shorter cheeky sort of fella, thats not worry.

but thanks for the offer I will get specs on what support they place under floor here and what wooden beams and give them to you, i really appreciate the help.

as labour and crafts are extremley expensive in norway I will do most of it myslef, including the luber jacking of the timbre out the forest and the basic plank work.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

If you guys can put beams over the wooden floor, underneath the stand of the tank, that the beams can stretch out over a bigger distance than that of the tank's stand, then you SHOULD be able to get the tanks safely on there.

BUT - this is more of a job for an engineer, as I am not one.

My dad has been in the property developing trade now for about 20 years, so - this is just some knowledge from him that rubbed off on me :)

Recent Posts