woke up to no power

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by FransSny, 29 Aug 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Trust tswane to give me a nice wake up no power! This after adding new ls jast night

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Eish, have you got backup or ways to aerate until it comes back on ?

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

Not good not good - have you got some form of backup buddy - remember with new LS the tank is already making changes! Even if you just take out water manually (15-20%) and put it back it can help agitate the surface and help things stay alive! Or even one of those battery operated air pumps!

5. Tony

Tony

Add one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide every four hours for every 200 litres of water and mix it in. It will help with oxygen levels as it breaks down into water and oxygen

6. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx guys for the support, after running around since 3 this morning...chanching water, heating water & floating buckets it the tanks I have power again....about 2 mins before having a gennie delivered :p

All seems well at this stage.........just have a nasty feeling about the new CBB i got yesterday havent seen him at all. This after months of deliberation (with myself about getting one).

BTW apologies to the city of tswane...was due to cable theft, but i'm going now to get an inverter, charger, batteries etc.

7. werner5

werner5

i hope your live stock survived the power failure

8. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx werner, seems like I just lost the CBB...rest seems fine

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Frans - that's the reason why I have battery operated air pumps that goes on when the power drops...... Best to invest in a few of these mate. They cost around R60/70 each - WELL WORTH IT.... One set of Eveready D-cells (2 batteries) lasts me 8 hours..

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Don't think it is a cable theft thing. I have been receiving calls all day with power outs in various suburbs. Bedfordview is out at the moment since 15h15 and the LFS are out of stock of those battery Jobie's.

11. jacquesb

Nemo's - Do you know the Afrikaans saying: "voorsorg is beter as nasorg"? ;)

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Well Bedfordview just got power back 16h00.:thumbup: JB Most of these guys have the battery aerators or generators. However there has not been a power out for quiet a while that the generators have not been tested or started and the battery pumps have had the batteries left in them and are now corroded to $h1t. So the planning was there but long forgotten was the upkeep. I bet the guys that have those 80KW generators running their pads will have the poor service techs on the coals tomorrow.

13. jacquesb

Hi Nemo's Janitor - I can understand the fact that people HAVE the devices, and not look after them. BUT, it is indeed part of the "maintenance regime"..... I start my 1.2kW generator once every month. Just to ensure that my gennie still starts. I have 2 x battery operated air pumps on my reeftank, and one on my cold water tank. Every time when the power has gone out, the day or the weekend after that I replace my 2 x D-cell batteries in all the battery operated pumps....
    Unfortunately - with our current electrical state of affairs, one just HAVE to take these precaustions.
    That is - IF you want to keep live fish ;)

That's probably one of the reason why they call South Africa a 3rd world country (when I was living in Europe (lived there for 6 years)), I could not understand why they call SA a 3rd world country - NOW ONLY I start to understand - one thing being our electrical supplier - the other being our terrible financial policies (the banking policies).

I am buying a house. I have at leat R7k expendable income (between me and my wife) per month - our credit rating is exemplary, and I had trouble getting a home loan - and in 30 days, where I was approved a personal loan of R60k, today when I went to go for my personal loan, the same bank, the same personal banker, only approved me R50k - in 30 days they decided that I was a risk for R10k!!!!!!!)

I was MORE than slightly pi$$ed off! Believe me...

Sorry about the rant. Get back on the topic....

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Suggestion. Take a good few swigs of your favorite red. Seat yourself down in front of the tanks and switch the PC off and chill. A tinker or two with the tank takes all the stress from those aspects of life we cannot control. Chin up bud the power thing will improve the economy as well and you will find a way to persuade your banker.:thumbup:

15. jacquesb

LOL! Cool Nemo's Janitor.... I have already downed 2 double whiskey's.... I am getting onto the red as soon as I start the coals for the braai! ;)
    The meat is already in the tenderiser!

At least the Boks have won against Australia on their own home field! ;)

Frans - I would take Nemo's suggestion to heart to! ;)

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

FransSny...I do hope everything is okay...

17. Fishfood

Fishfood

Jacques just a quick question,not really for myself cos I have an inverter and battery powered airpumps (2).
    Are airpumps alone enough and how many should be running per how many litres?

18. amalick

amalick

I have these too, but how do you get them to come on automatically when the power drops ?

19. Tony

Tony

Amalick unless someone out there is a DIY fundi I don't think you can have them come on automatically

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi there Tony - I have resun's - they are blue in colour and have place for 2 "dd" batteries with a "tail" that plugs into a 220V socket - this "tail" is used as a sensor and as long as there is electricity the pump remains "off" - when it senses there is no power it switches the pumps on - very cool - but could get better if the put a charging circuit in but will look into modifying it myself - just to get some time!

21. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx guys...learnt a very valueble lesson (the inverter setup was on my TO DO LIST for a while).

Got 2 batteries, 400 W inverter & intelligent charger...can someone tell me what the switch is called to make it switch on automatically when the power goes ?

JB i know the feeling.....banking with ABSA both personally & my 3 businesses for years. Good cred records etc....cant get 300 K finance for a plot in oudshoorn.

If I didnt love this place so much I would have been out long time ago

Recent Posts