Wish List

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by sriddick, 5 Jul 2013.

1. sriddick

sriddick

Hi Guys / Gals,

So heres the thing, I have been an avid reefer for many years. I ran a tank for about 4 years and loved it. Sadly, I had a major wipe out on that tank in 2009 and was devastated at the loss so I sold it.

As I am sure you will all agree, once it is in your blood, you just cannot stop. It has been a while, but I am set on starting up a new reef. My goal with this tank is to try and put together the best possible system for running SPS and a select few fish that I love.

Since I have been out of the loop for a while, I thought I would start off by getting some ideas from fellow reefers in terms of the setup. Alot of new equipment seems to be available and I have looked at a couple of the all-in-one setups from RSM and Aquaria etc. My opinion is that whilst these systems look great, they dont leave much room for flexibility. For this reason I am considering putting together my own design from scratch.

I am looking at doing something like a 2m X 2m rimless cube type design with about a 600mm - 750mm depth. If any of the Durban guys have seen the tank in John Dory's at Gateway mall, this is similar to my idea. Being a technology junky, I am keen on setting it up with whatever toys are available in terms of monitoring, dosing, lighting etc and possibly building a PLC system to control everything.

What I would like to know is if you had the cash, what would be your ideal shopping list for hardware? Tank / sump design etc?

I have seen some nice LED lighting systems, controllers etc. but there are varying options and it would be great to get some in-the-field knowledge

Thanks for your input

Regards,
    Sheldon.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

howdy! and welcome!

well on that size tank i would go with:
    2 x Reef Octo DCS-250 skimmers
    4-6 x Orphek DIF 100 LED lights or Atlantiks
    DC 10000L return pumps
    Vortech MP60's
    Profilux computer
    Reef Octo Carx
    Kalk Stirrer
    4 chan doser

this off the top of my head, will think more on it

4. sriddick

sriddick Thread Starter

Thanks dallasg, those all look like awesome products. Really like the Vortech units very much and the Profilux computer seems to be very feature rich. Any idea of local distributors in SA for these units?

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Welcome to masa sheldon!
    Just a word of caution regarding your tank size...
    Just remember that with a tank of that size, it will be VERY difficult to reach everywhere in the tank. A tank of 1500x1500mm would be more convenient to aquascape & maintain!
    As for depth, I would not go deeper than 650mm.

Equipment is a lot of personal preference, but there are a couple of "must have equipment" for a tank of that size!

For a controller: The reef angel aquarium controller system is probably one of the best configurable controllers on the market. You can literally control anything with it, & you can get a wide selection of probes & sensors to monitor everything from ph to water leakages! (also one of the best priced controllers) It even has a wireless function that you can connect to your wifi, & enables you to control/monitor your tank from anywhere using your smartphone or pc.

Lighting: I would definitely go for led lighting system with a a couple of smaller led units rather than 1 or 2 larger ones! Something like the ecotech radions or reef aquatics intellisun (have both over my tanks). Or even a couple orphek led units. (this is personal prefference as most of the led units are good quality)

Skimmer: Something big like a reef octopus 5000 int (or ext) or even a bubble magus bm460 or similar.

Return pump: waterblaster HY-5000W

Nutrient removal: Orca nitra-guard Biocubes (by far the best nutrient removal on the market) You should use +-3-4l of biocubes.

Phosphate removal: a normal reef octopus (or similar) phosphate reactor with some granular ferric oxide.

Calcium & alk: Get any calcium reactor with a co2 cilinder (with regulator & solenoid valve) connected to reef angel controller.

Wavemakers: 4x ecotech eco-vortech mp40 (or mp60) wavemakers also controlled by reef angel controller. (Or a couple of tunze wavemakers if you dont like the vortechs).

Heaters: 3x 300w eheim jager heaters (probably the best on the market)

Dosing: any 3 head dosing pump (or a reef angel dosing pumps connected to controller) to dose magnesium, coral supplement & reef x-tra-x/iodine.

Refractometer: Any ATC (auto temperature compensation) refractometer. (a must have)

Test kits: (I like the new red sea pro test kits) Get the calcium, alk, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate (& possible the reef colors test kit)

Auto top up: you can use the ATO float switches that works with the reef angel controller, & simply connect it with a small waterpump in a Reverse osmosis water container.

Freshwater filtration: You can get any reverse osmosis 4stage filter (must have the de-ionization resin cartridge) (the waterboy RO units is probably the most reliable) to supply freshwater for topup & saltwater mixing.

Just remember that this is only a guideline,& you can use any other brand hardware, as long as it falls within the spec of your water volume (& is good quality!)

Something else that is quite important is to have an electrical backup system like a power inverter/UPS or a generator to power the critical components in case of a power outage.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2013
  6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

You can get all of these products from most of the local petstores.
    These products are imported by aquarium depot, & a lot of the petstores stock their products.
    Perhaps @belindamotion & @brentv can direct you to the best petstore in the area as they lived in the area...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. sriddick

sriddick Thread Starter

Hi Visser, thanks very much. All good suggestions and after thinking about how I battled with the depth of my last tank I tend to agree that maybe some more thought needs to go into the dimensions. It makes perfect sense what you say about accessing the middle of the tank with the original 2m X 2m design.

Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated.

8. Parraman

Parraman

Lighting i would take two of the Triton R2 Pacific sun LED units

Last edited: 5 Jul 2013
Recent Posts