Windhoek, Namibia - Live Rock & Hardware Shipment.

Discussion in '► Sponsor Request Forum' started by Uysster, 29 Jul 2014.

1. Uysster

Uysster

Good day.

Anyone in the general Cape Town / Johannesburg area that are willing to supply me with healthy fully cured live rock to Windhoek, Namibia?
    Also advise on the time period these rocks can stay in transit with fluctuating temperatures?

I am unfortunately forced to look at "more affordable" pricing. I'm extremely new to the marine side, and my small tank does not even have in it - That confirms how new I actually am!

Thanks for anyone's help and assistance in this regard.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

George take your details off & ask them to pm you...

4. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

How do I "close" / delete this thread?

5. xtreme

xtreme

Ok now I will respond to your question.

First of all, with the new import export regulation, nothing will come into Namibia if the sender doesn't have an export number. You can ask a few sponsors here, already tried them to get an export number. The only way is with the post office and LR will not work.

Then the LFS prices on LR is between 210-300R per KG, Ok say 1 KG R210 + 14% VAT = R239.40 then Import Vat 16.5% = R274.05 then your transport cost overnight to WHK range from 120 minimum per that kg, they have a minimum transport cost. Now you end up with N$ 394.04. Make it less say 350 per KG, then you have to cure that LR again for the die offs so you need salt heater and circulation pumps so you can say you end with N$ 400 per kg.

Just to let you know, also trying, But cheap there isn't. It sound cheap there but get it here is expensive.
    Marine hobby is expensive, if you try to start with the cheapest products and cutting corners it will cost you a lot of money.

You do have LR in your tank, the cheapest way now and that will work is getting base rock or make your own cement rocks.

6. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

Good morning, xtreme.

The initial post is old. I posted this before I had contacted you. I was lucky enough to purchase a fair amount of l.r. from you, thank you very much for this.

This is the reason why I wanted this post to be deleted, because I'm sorted with l.r. for now.

However, the next thing, although I'm not in a hurry, is some live stock.
    I.e. corals, invertes (c.u.c.) and fish.

When I was driving to work this morning I was thing of making contact with you again to hear what (If any.) live stock you have available in your shop to purchase.

Have you been following my other threads? You would see I've added a few small easy corals already and they seem to be doing quite well!

Noticed last night on one of the cured base rocks I purchased from you that two feather dusters emerged - True beauties!

We did a quick estimation yesterday and within the last month or two at least another 7 people here in Windhoek started up with marine tanks...
    So the demand is growing, however, the supply chain is just getting worse and worse. (I went to a certain Mr. Bester the previous weekend (You know him as well!), where we also discussed this, but this problem needs yet to be solved...!)

Nevertheless, back to one of my previous questions - Do you currently have any form of livestock available?
    Also, do you have salinity / specific gravity testers available and maby test kit(s)?

7. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

Oh, and please, when you have stock again of l.r. please let me know.

Recent Posts