Will this work??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MadScientist, 3 Oct 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadScientist

MadScientist

Hi guys,

Firstly greetings to all as I am a new member on this forum.

I would like to know if this idea would work.

I currently have a 4ft reef setup thats about a year old and doing well.

What I want to try and do is move my dwarf black spotted catfish from my FW to my marine tank.

So I was thinking of slowly acclimating it to salt water over about a 3 to 4 month period. So every 2nd or 3rd day add a small amount of salt to the water in the tank thats its in now.. until sg reaches 1.025.

Can this be done?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shan

shan

hi and welcome

i do not know this catfish - do you perhaps have the proper name of this fish

if it is a FW species, then, No - if brackish - then maybe at a possibly lower sg level.

give us the name, lets check

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

well, would you like to live in a heavy smog area? Or in the Sahara desert? You might survive, but would you like it?

Their kidneys will eventually fail. Just the way salt osmosis and those things work. Though that with a username like yours, you would remember those biology lessons from your school days. ;)

5. 4age

4age

unless you want soutvis..I wouldn't do this at all

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Don't waste your time doing it as you'll only make things worse for the fish...

7. MadScientist

MadScientist Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for replies.. the fish is a spotted raphael catfish aka talking catfish.

Wikimedia Error

8. MadScientist

Thanks for replies guys,

This is a spotted raphael catfish aka talking catfish

Wikimedia Error

you can see a pic of it on the above link. not much info there unfortunately

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Why would you want to do this?

10. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Are you sure your 4ft is a marine tank?

11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

wont work..if it was so easy or even possible,there would be plenty freshwater fish in marine tanks and probably marine fish in normal tropical tanks...

12. MadScientist

yes im sure it is a marine tank.. I wanna do this coz I would like to see this fish in my reef tank.

heres a video of something similar. theres a few on youtube. theres also experiments that were done with numerous fish in the philipines and it worked

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  13. MadScientist

The sg of pure fresh water is 1.0 and not zero.. so if you can have marine fish at 1.018 then you should be able to get a freshwater fish up to that.. and it should survive. so if it can survive at that.. im sure after a few months of gradually increasing sg it would adapt. catfish are known to adapt to various environments.

14. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

you cant compare that video to what you want to do...those scats and monos are brackish and require full marine when they are bigger (to be healthier) what you want to do is take a fish from the amazon and put it into saltwater...anything from the amazon prefers softer waters,just like arrowanas,discus etc..that video is way different to what you want to do..

15. 459b

That video is very misleading. Those are marine fish and brakish water fish.

The marine fish in that tank do not look happy at all. Tangs should be swimming actively, not sitting on the bottom like the powder blue is.
    Although you do get alot of euryhaline fish, keeping a fish out of its natural/preferred habitat just for a gimmick is rather cruel.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

prolonged hypo salinity is one of the causes of HLLE in Tangs / Surgeon fishes.

As a human, you can drink and survive on saltwater. But not for long. You will stuff up your kidneys and liver. And go crazy.

How many guys must tell you its wrong? Untill one fool says yeah, do it and you will believe him. Do what is right for your fish. Do not keep big dogs in little garden complexes. Do not keep an Afican Grey in a budgie cage. Do not keep fish that grow big in nano tanks. Simply do not do it.

17. 459b

Doesnt sound like that much, but its actually a huge difference.
    Rather look at it in terms of salinity, freshwater is 0ppm, marine tanks are 35ppm. . .

18. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

as for the parrots ,like malawi fish can take a bit of salt too..you can even see the one is of a green terror mix there...flowerhorn to be exact..

Last edited: 3 Oct 2013
  19. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

the bicolor angel at 1:56 isnt happy at all

20. MadScientist

Yes guys, i understand this. @RiaanP i am not going to just do this, thats why the title reads will this work with a "?" at the end.

Fuzzy your post says
    Likewise if enough is known about this fish it too might be able to withstand salt water.. a lot of surprising things take place in this world, but would not if no one tried anything to find out. I'm all against hurting animals and things like that.. but we wouldnt know until its done.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

ok im gonna be straight here.... im sure riaan knows what a question mark is..or is this an english lesson too? <---- i also have a question mark...... then,you tell me what my post says,i know what it says,i wrote it,and i know what i meant when i wrote it as i have many years of EXPERIENCE WITH FRESHWATER FISH ,BUT CLEARLY NOT AS MANY YEARS OF YOUTUBE...you say you against hurting animals so why do you want to hurt them while experimenting??? <----- oh check i have 3 ... and lastly...if you are so convinced it will work then why come on here to ASK WITH A QUESTION MARK if it will work? .... :)

Recent Posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.