Will this work?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Mitch StayC, 12 May 2013.

1. Mitch StayC

Mitch StayC

Hey guys, I have a few questions as I am new to the whole sw thing. I have been doing tons of research, reading posts, beginner guides etc and I want to start a sw tank (FOWLR). Thing is I have this acrylic tank that I bought last year previously used as fw. We redid the stand and that's sorta why I need to try make it work. I will post a pic of the tank soon for now I will just tell you.

Tank size* (all in mm)

1200L x 420W x 520H
    260 liters

There isn't much space for a sump
    300Lx 310Wx 450+H

All I can think for the sump is to increase height, max could be 60cm. What do you guys think?

As for lighting it already has 3 t8 lighting ( will get pic) but I don't really want to use this.

So question time.... My ultimate question is, Is it possible to make this tank work?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScottK

ScottK

You can definitely make it work. I would change the lighting to decent T5's or LED. The sump is a little small but should be fine depending on what filtration you choose. If you go with a decent sized skimmer rated for 600L or more and Orca bio cubes you will have more than enough space. Increasing the height of the sump could work but you will need to raise the skimmer a lot as that will be way too deep for it to work effectively.

4. Mitch StayC

Mitch StayC Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Scott, as promised here is the pictures [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Hi Mitch Welcome to masa

As for the size of your display tank it will make a very nice display will have lots of space for aquascaping the lr. Had a fw tank that was about the same dimentions..

The sump is just to add extra water volume and hold all of the equipment that is going to be needed for 1. filtration. 2 Auto top off and for heaters so u can keep the display tank nice and tidy and it just makes life easier (imo)

You said u wanted to do a fowlr tank so the lights r not the most important thing to consider.. but if you want that saltwater look u will need to go for some blues and whites T5 bulbs would be a better choice..

Last edited: 12 May 2013
  6. Mitch StayC

Yeah I definetly want that saltwater look, that's why I am willing to change them, I also know t8 are not very good. Regarding actually setting this up, I have been considering buying a second hand full setup from some one and just moving all the equipment, lr to this tank. Or should I buy equipment individually?

7. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Just depends on what equipments you will be getting New or Second Hand and what price u will get it for

Fowlr The main thing you need for filtration is Lots of LR and a skimmer... Just try and get a 2nd hand skimmer

8. Mitch StayC

I've been looking for second hand skimmers, someone is selling a TS2, also saw octopus 200 extreme for the same price but the guy hasn't replied for weeks.

9. Mitch StayC

Quick question for lighting, would LED be able light up this tank with the 3xT8 tubes? I want to try grow a few easy corals, polyps, mushrooms, Kenya tree.

10. BrandonH

BrandonH

The Maxspect Razor 160 would be perfect for this size tank.

11. Mitch StayC

Anyone selling one of these second hand?

12. ScottK

ScottK

LED's are quite pricy, the Maxspect are awesome are probably what I am about to put on my tank :) If you have the cash this would be the best way to go and will allow you to grow into corals with higher lighting requirements in the future.

For the corals you have mentioned T5 lighting would be more than sufficient and a fair bit cheaper (the once off cost) than LED's. Changing the current end caps and ballasts in that hood will not be too difficult, and 4 decent T5 bulbs should be enough.

13. Mitch StayC

Thanks guys, I will most proberly go with t5, and maybe I can get some LED strips?
    With regards to the substrate, I know aragonite is pricey right? What else can I use that will look good, as close to white as possible prefferably. Also how should i go about getting water from the tank to the sump? can you drill acrylic? Then I was thinking for a sump I get a plastic container, 30x30cm and use that? Or is that too low tech lol.

14. Mitch StayC

Another question, would it be okay if I mixed 25kgs of dead base rock with 10kgs of live rock?

15. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Mitch,
    Yes, you can mix the rock. Pretty soon the dead rock will also become "live" rock as well.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, most important piece of equipment is the skimmer. And you need space for the skimmer, especially height. The stand height of 450 you need to make sure that the skimmer will fit in the cabinet.

You need to get the tank drilled. I tried many moons ago a lot of options to overflow a tank that is not drilled. They work, but are not fail safe. Tried it, failed, had the water spills.

You cannot install a LED unit inside that canopy. They need enough airflow around them to keep them cool. Plus the fan unit will pack up in that enclosed high moisture area. Advantage of the lid is that it will prevent fish from carpet surfing.

Replacing the T8 with T5 is an option. But as a fish only system I would rather keep the T8 units.

Overall, The cabinet is extremely limiting. Most likely it do have vertical supports both sides of the drawers and cannot be removed.

Rather check around for another system that is more suited for your requirements.

17. Mitch StayC

Thanks Gesiggie. Sorry @RiaanP I think I was a bit unclear, the area where a sump could go has more than 60cm in height, so it isn't an issue. But I agree is is a bit limiting. I can get this tank drilled, I just need to know where, how big, how high etc.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what size sump can you get in there?

You can take the tank in to LFS and get it drilled there, and also get the pieces of glass needed to build the overflow.

19. Mitch StayC

Biggest sump I can fit would be 30x30 base and the height could be higher than 45 cm if necessary. So if I take it to Jungle Aquatics could they cut it? It's acrylic if that changes anything, just incase. Just a quick question, why do I need an overflow box, can't the water flow straight into the sump?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and if the power goes out? what will stop the water from draining.

21. Mitch StayC

Would the sump not be able to hold enough water if this happened?

Recent Posts