Will this work - Overflow too small

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by chas84, 14 Oct 2010.

1. chas84

chas84

Hi everyone, I need to increase the size of the overflow. Currently water only flows over about 20cm, and the other side of the corner overflow is not open (ie a solid piece of glass).

The right way I guess is to drain the tank, remove the panel and take it in to be cut. Then silicone it in place again. BUT, hehe... This is a massive amount of effort to get a 20mm strip cut off a piece of glass.

I'd like to know if anyone's successfully attempted to cut a 10mm piece of glass overflow while it's still in the tank? If this can e done I'll obviously drain enough water and cover the surface with a drip sheet and tape.

I've seen this tool:

http://www.boman.co.za/pMAKITA_4191...cutter-with-wheel--Incl-battery--charger.aspx

Anyone familiar with it?

I've also thought about using a glass drill bit, but the bracing is in the way.

Below are some pics of the overflow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr_G

Mr_G

ive cut my overflow also a box on while water was flowing in the tank, I cut my finger(again) in the process, think my fish liked the blood...lol...but it worked...

4. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Lol... Once they've tasted blod they'll want some more, lol.

Please share the details with me? What thickness is the glass, what did you cut it with, etc... Is it the same type of overflow as I've got?

5. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Another solution might be to use a "Dremel" tool with the diamond cutting blade?

6. Mr_G

Mr_G

i have a 6mm glas for overflow, used a normal glass cutter from mica, took away 30mm about, the tecnique is in the way you break the glass, yeah my fish attack my hand now the whole time if I put it in there...lol

7. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

may i ask why you are increasing the size of the overflow box?

8. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

My overflow is made of 10mm glass, which won't be cut with a regular glass cutter, that's why I'm thinking of something like a Dremel tool or the likes...

9. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Sure. Not enough water is getting to the sump, and unless I direct some of it via a "tap" back to the skimmer compartment, the return pump (4200lph) empties the sump. If it's going to prove too much of a mission to increase the overflow, then I'll either continue as I am now, or I'll use my 3000lph pump instead. I read somewhere that it's not necessarily a bad thing if the water turnover from tank to sump and back is slow, apparently the benefit is the fact that the water has more contact with the skimmer and rest of the sump.

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

how big is your actual overfolw pipe from your tank to your sump?

11. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

It's a 50mm pipe.

12. Mr_G

Mr_G

hmmmmmm, ball valve on the return pump, slows the water it pushes back...thats what I have done, all my water have to go through my skimmer first before it can go any further through the sump...

13. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

This is basically what I'm doing at the moment.

From The return pipe is split as follows:
    from the return pump, I have one tap with a short pipe that goes to the skimmer compartment - Then one tap feeding my phos reactor - Then one tap feeding the chiller. There is also a ball valve/tap just before the return pipe goes into the dt.

14. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

dude 50mm should handle 6000lph iirc

how is your overflow piping structured?

worst case cenario tap of the return and feed it back towards before the skimmer chamber.

15. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

The problem's not the actual 50mm pipe, it's the overflow "chamber" in the tank. If you look at the pics above, you'll notice only one side of it is open (where the mesh is). By opening its other side as well, more water can get to the 50mm pipe.

From the tank, the 50mm pipe goes straight into the skimmer section of the sump. I've already "tee'd" off from the return pipe back to the skimmer section.

16. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I've the same setup as yours; the green meshing, remove that and replace with a strip of egg crate, you can also try adding a durso?

17. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

instead of cutting the box , drill a large 50mm hole and add a mesh behind it

18. magman

magman

Charles,

Remove that grid in front, I don't understand your overflow, it looks like water is on the right and not under the overflow, maybe just the pic, if that is your overflow where the grid is, then it is hamepering your flow.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

20cm wide overflow is enough.
    your pump is too strong, and the turnover to high.

And if tank and sump is full, what should happen is that water will flow out as the same speed as it enters the display. If the overflow pipe between tank and sump cannot handle the waterflow, then the overflow chamber should fill up. Well, as this is not the case, it simply means that the sump is not big enough. Take into account, that you need to fill up the display from the sump by another 3 mm before the overflow will work optimally. Your tank is 180cm(l) x 75cm(h) c 60cm(d) So that is equal to 32.4L water that the sump should be able to hold extra. At 5mm water level height above overflow (stronger pumps), then your sump should handl 54L extra.

In other words, that is the volume of water the sump should be able to hold extra, in case the power goes out. Providing your syphon break does break.

So, lift the return line, so that it does not suck any water back to the sump at all, but without it causing splashes. And reduce your sump flow rate by using a smaller return pump.

somewhere - a long time ago - some wise person did supply me the formula to calculate the height of the water above the overflow at a given flow rate. Taking the width of the overflow into account. What it means, at a given width of 200mm as in your case, the height will be different at different flowrates - huh - obvious dude.

No point in cutting other panel. Get a better sump.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and the grid might slow the flow, or impede on the flow. So that will cause even a higher water level in display. So, yes, unless you use a maller return pump, then rather remove it.

But it does help to keep your snails in the tank and out of the display.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Recent Posts