Will this Work? 5 STAGE Reverse Osmosis

Reaction score
Hi Guys I've bought myself a 5 stage RO, the ones that you can use for home drinking water also.Do you think this would be OK to use for marine use?

The stages are as follows:

‧1st stage: 5 Micron Spun Fiber Pre-filter (Double O-Ring Housing)
‧2nd stage: Granular Activated Carbon filter (Double O-Ring Housing)
‧3rd stage: 1 Micron Spun Fiber Pre-filter (Double O-Ring Housing)
‧4th stage: RO Membrane 50GPD
‧5th stage: Post Activated Carbon filter

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Perfect I reckon, the more stages the better.

I like to flush all the stages separately before you hook them all up, especially the carbon.

Reaction score
Hi Guys I've bought myself a 5 stage RO, the ones that you can use for home drinking water also.Do you think this would be OK to use for marine use?
I do not think drinking ro water is healthy. But as for this units suitability, for marines, you will need to measure TDS.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I have a similar unit. If you already have it or can get it for about the same price as one designed for marine use (around R1400) then I'd say it's fine. On the other hand I have replaced most of mine with better membrane etc so it's really just the shell that's part of the original. The post-RO carbon is for making the water taste better, no point in using that... The resevoir canister only serves a purpose if you kinda instantly need some RO water. It might also increase your TDS a bit.

The pump is cool though, especially if you have low pressure. I have my unit plumbed with the first 2 stages being the normal filter/carbon, then RO, then one of the "stages" being filled with DI resin.

Reaction score
I think this is overkill. Rather buy a waterboy. What was your price?

Reaction score
A more normal setup would have the RO membrane at position 3 and then have a resin stage after this in 4 to get rid of anything the RO missed.

So get rid of the second micron filter, and plumb it in after the RO as a DI resin filter.

Reaction score
I boughty it of of an bidorbuy auction online for R1025,00. There is a company in Cape Town, that sells these specific ones for about R2000.

Another interesting ( I reckon bargain) one (450l/d) is on the following link on bidorbuy.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=6209926

Where can I get hold of a DI filter ?

Last edited:

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
In Cape Town get hold of Liaquat/Obi-Wan/Aquality for a DI chamber/resin pack.