Will my tank ever balance out, so that I don't have to run carbon or phos reducer?

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Dlaria, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

Will my tank ever balance out, so that I don't have to run carbon or phos reducer? (Put them passive in pantyhose in the hob refugeum.)

My cheato keeps floating to the top of the fuge. I started squeezing out the air bubbles getting in it, from the skimmer outflow, so it sinks back down. I keep getting brownish/redish slime on top of it. Is it cyno? Should I move the phos reducer before the cheato/fuge area? I've got the carbon there, and the phos reducer after. No algae or slime in the DT (yet).

Last edited: 15 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. danimal

danimal

From the little I know, everything in this hobby is about patience and balance... and lots of patience! lol

I don't know what filtration you run, but in theory it should balance out. You will, however be constantly fiddling with things, such is the nature of the hobby. The fact that we are trying to contain nature (an open system) in a glass box (a vlosed system) says that there will always be something out of balance. This is countered by various means; kH and Ca additives, bacteria, water changes, etc...

Some guys seem to go through phases where they run carbon and/or phosban for a while when something is out of whack, then leave it for a while. I myself do this...

As to where your phos reducer should be in the sump, I'm not too sure, need a guru to answer. I should imagine it wouldn't make much of a difference before or after the fuge, as long as it's getting the right flow etc.

4. lIghty

lIghty

I would run the Phos and carbon after the cheato, but as Danimal said, thing always need to be monitors / tweaked.

That red slime on the cheato does sound like cyno, perhaps try increase the flow in the area to keep the ball moving.

5. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Thanks. I got a very small powerhead and added it to the fuge. cheato's not tumbling, but the water's moving around and over it better now.

Recent Posts