Will my clowns bother my torch?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by pXius, 21 Jul 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

Hi people!

I've done quite a bit of research on the corals I want and I'm very specific about where I want to place them in the DT.

My problem is the area I want to place my soon-to-buy torch. My clowns have paired as far as I can tell because they rub up against each other quite a bit. I know hosting is not guaranteed, but its not what I'm trying to achieve anyway.

Things is, the spot I want to place my torch is the same spot my clowns tend to hang around a lot. From what I've read, should they host, they would take on quite a few different forms of LPS corals (should you not have a nennie, which I don't want atm).

From some threads I've read say that they could become quite bothersome to the torch and could even damage it. Other threads do indicate that when they host hammers, which are close to torch in LPS terms, they are fine and the hammer is not bothered.

Hammer coral is unfortunately not on my "to-get" list.

Ideally I would prefer it if they just left the torch alone. This will also be the 1st common "hostable" coral in the DT.

I really don't want to pass this torch because I have been searching for a dark greyish tentacle with a green tip for awhile now and I've already reserved this one for Saturday, unless of course anyone gives me good reason not to take it...

:whistling:

Last edited: 21 Jul 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi, firstly well done on the research you have done!!
    I have heard about instances where they host in torch corals.. They do not kill the coral, but rather irritate it to death. They erritate it, and then prevent the coral from opening up completely. The coral then battles to photosensitise and eventually dies.

pXius likes this.
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have just lost 2 heads to this, i am deciding if i am going to sell my true percs coz of it

5. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

@Tiger
    Ditto!

There is an alternative spot where I can place the torch, but its slap bang in the center of the tank, about 3cm from the substrate on my middle island. Quite a bit of fish activity around it but the clowns don't go there much.

There's another spot one the reef to the left of my tank but its suppose to be a zoa garden/mountain but the tentacle thingies that sometimes come out at night, should they sprout, will become a problem.

@dallasg

The clowns and the torch are both part of why I started marines and quite frankly, it'll suck if I can't keep them both :(

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Duri

Duri

I have clowns which never had a host until I put in frogspawn, it took them at least 2 weeks to go to the frogspawn because it was on the opposide of the tank.

[​IMG]

they swim insides out the otherside and the frogspawn is doing well.
    now they don't leave that area.

I have now add neon green hammers, awesome size :thumbup: from perky's, close to the frogspawn now they move from the frogspawn to the hammer and back, they are undecided... but they are chased away by my surgeon tang... I think he claimed the neon hammers :lol:

7. Braco

Braco

I have the very same but also it depends on the clowns behaviour sometimes they irritate the poor coral so much that it eventually dies off..and sometimes they act more caring and the coral survives but still it's extensions are not as it should be..just my 2cents..

8. Duri

Duri

who you replying to? and what extensions? :whistling:

9. gaboon

gaboon

Old clowns killed my torch. Are they hosting in anything at the moment? If they are move it and they should follow. My new clowns host in an acanthastrea:p, and leave my torch alone.

10. Braco

Braco

Torch Coral polyp extentions..

11. Braco

Braco

Oops..i thought i could just comment..:blush:

12. Duri

Duri

no worries :tt2:

13. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I'm lucky with my torch. Also have a pair of clowns and they have never bothered my torch. They seem to prefer one of my flow pumps for some reason. The flow pump and torch are directly next to each other but the clowns couldn't be bothered by the torch. That's probably why they called clowns. Lol. Maybe you lucky as well. I would say try it and if they bother the torch,move it.lil bit of scaping here and there and you might just be able to keep both the things that got you into marines.

14. Jeann1

Jeann1

I also have a torch, nice and big, my tomato clowns do hang around it, and have even seen them taking it food :lol: , but they have never been between the polyps..

15. Braco

Braco

It sounds like your tomato clowns are still courting your torch...also a friend of mine has a torch and a nennie and his clowns has rather settled for the nennie..and his torch is clown free...

16. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Added the torch and a leather (toadstool/umbrella) this weekend. They don't seem to notice the torch which is great :) and the leather isn't completely open yet, still has that gel/skin layer, started to shed it now.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  17. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Pics pics pics please and goodluck with the new additions.

18. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Will post some tonight ;-)

19. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Freakin Clowns started to host my torch! :dft007::dft007::dft007:

I'm still 4-5 months away from a nennie and I really don't want to move the torch, its in an awesome spot.

From what I've read they'll host hammers as well, and hammers are more tolerable to the hosting. They also carry less of a sting compared to the torch.

Any chance they'll move to the hammer when placed on the same side of the tank... ?

Last edited: 6 Aug 2011
  20. Dane

Dane

The hammer will be just as bothered as the torch. I would avoid using any of the euphyllias as clown hosts, unless they are massive corals....

21. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

The general idea is to not have them host at all but that's not my call.

If the coral starts to retract I'll move it.

Recent Posts