Will/Can coral eat C Irritans ?

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Nemos Janitor, 16 Feb 2015.

Voter count: 13
?

Will/Can, corrals eat C Irritans?

Poll closed 16 Feb 2016.
  1. Corals don't eat C Irritans

23.1%
  2. All corals eat C Irritans

7.7%
  3. Corals can control C Irritans

7.7%
  4. It is a prep for a April fools joke.

61.5%
  1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Thought this might be an interesting poll.

C Irritans is the common dreaded disease known as white spot. Many remedies are proposed.

Has one been overlooked?

Last edited: 16 Feb 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

I haven't done any reading on this subject. But never heard of corals eating it. Otherwise everyone would just add that coral to their tank...:whistling:

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

So do some interesting research.

Hint. Cryptocaryon and Oodinium are one-cellular paricites.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Interesting topic Keith
    I know which box I'll tick, but I need to do more reading

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  6. Nemos Janitor

Yes David. :m106:

Many reefers need to do that and not only "take in" "Google" and believe what the read on other forums.

:biggrin:

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

In theory why not. If corals can take up phyto and any other one cellular organisms, then why not?

But I doubt that it can be of any impact or relevance. The whitespot hatches normally in the early hours just before sunrise. While most of the corals we have in our tanks are retracted anyway. Unless you maybe have a NPS dominated system. So in laboratory exercises where they had opened up corals and then feed them whitespot, more than likely they would have found results where corals actually ate the whitespot buggers. But this result would be skewed, unless they did the tests with lights out.

So my initial vote goes for no. This is without going on Google to read up further.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

LPS corals feed at night...
    i also know what box i will tick

9. dallasg

10. Nemos Janitor

Yes a thought that many are not sure of...

Most trials and remedies are conducted around chemical and electronic solutions to control....

A question one should ask is. how is it that big reef aquariums, or heavily coral stocked aquariums suffer less with desiease outbreaks ?

Last edited: 18 Feb 2015
  11. dallasg

do enlighten us

12. 459b

Prob cause larger aquarium owners have the money to set up proper quarantine systems

TaahirS and dallasg like this.
  13. Nemos Janitor

Many advanced aquariusts do not use QT methods. I always wondered why. Most of those/ these members have had systems running for many years. These Aquariusts understand that parasites are a part of ANY aquarium environment.

parasites are not a singular- cellular thing without a predator. They are very low down in the food chain. But can be destructive.

The next consideration could be... If corals and invertebrates could consume one -cellular paricites/plankton. Would that not be a reason? Or could the advocates of feeding Garlic and immune substances simply just be feeding corals.

14. Nemos Janitor

Dam this auto correct ? what happens to my post.

15. Nemos Janitor

Happened.

16. 459b

Technically paraSites are rather high up on the food chain. Even though they are often single called organisms, they still feed off tertiary consumers

17. Nemos Janitor

Does that mean they have no predators?

18. dallasg

a good parasite doesnt kill its host, maybe the constrains of small aquaria exacerbate the problem

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Whitespot can hatch up to a thousand little buggers from out each previous generation Tomont (cyst). So if you only had 10 spots on a fish, they dropped off and went down to the gravel to start the next cycle. So from the 10 little spots, its OK, not too bad, fish will survive, just feed them garlic. Upto 10000 tomites can hatch. In your confined space of 100L, 200L, or 1000L what are the chances for the fish to dodge all those tomites looking for hosts. These Tomites are active 24 hours upto 48 hours. But the longer they take to find a host, the weaker they are to be actually capable to penetrate the host slime layer.

OK I know that is not totally technically correct terms, but in laymans terms, trying to explain it in simple words - they live up to 24 hours to find a host, but they are too exhausted the longer they take to have the power to infect a fish. They are extremely effective within first 4 hours.

In the open ocean, whitespot does not have the same change to find a host. Lots get swept out of the reef by the currents into the open water never to find a hosts. Their effective time period expires and they just become food in the open ocean as all other small particles. The few that can find a host are the only hope of this species to continue.

But these little pests are not that stupid after all. They mostly drop off after sunset. And they hatch about 2 hours before sunrise. So what! What is so important about that? Well, its really simple. They drop off where the fish sleeps. So they can hatch, close by to where they can find possible future hosts sleeping. Wow.... that is clever from a 20 micron creature.

So coming back to the question asked in this thread. Would corals eat them? Even if the corals do. In our closed small little glass boxes, even if the corals do manage to eat up 50% of the buggers, we still have 500 swimming around. Plus they hatched 2 hours before lights on. Most corals are retracted and not actively feeding. Eventually after they opened up, yes, they have a feast. But what happens in the time since they Tomites hatched up to the corals start feeding? In our little boxes? Its hunting time...

All the Tomites blown out of the rockwork into the open water column, will have time to be blown back into the rockwork. Have a second, third and next 2 hours available to find the 10 fishes you got in your tank. What would the infection rate be?
    From 10 spots in previous round, to X spots now = tank wipeout.

Whitespot do not kill fish in the open sea. Their infection rate is just too low. They are a "good" parasite. But in our tanks, the chances of finding a hosts of the Tomites are just to good.

20. Nemos Janitor

Yes Dallas, I agree 100%.

I have done quite a lot of searching and enquiring for papers and work done on corals consuming single-cellular parasites. Very little information is out there. However authors like Bassleer, Noga and Spotte all indicate that corals that consume phytoplankton can eat these parasites.

21. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Think it's more a case of big and/or established systems being more stable. More stability means less stress and better immune response.

Recent Posts