Will algae in sump help with aglae in the display tank?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by scottyD, 27 Nov 2013.

1. scottyD

scottyD

Hi guys

Is it true that having various types of algae in the sump will help with algae in the main display tank?

I'm fairly new to the marine game, but a few year ago a friend (who had a big system at that stage) had a very big sump with one compartment with mainly "red" algae and another with "green" algae in it.

I have a fairly new setup, now only running for about 2-3 months with quite a lot of red algae growing in and on the rocks in the high flow areas and some on the sand bed as well.

I know it also might be something like cyanobacteria seeing that it is a new system. It is however mainly where there is good flow and lighting.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

The straight answer... YES.
    But its not so much the "algae in the sump", but rather the "algae in better conditions" that causes the algae in the tank to die off.

The reason for this is, when you grow algae in a place where it has (more) perfect conditions, it will grow faster (thus absorbing more nutrients / algae food) than the algae in the tank... & eventually, the algae in the tank will die off due to starvation, & the algae in the "better conditions" will reach equilibrium with the Nutrient input vs nutrient absorption by algae.

Probably the best example of this is an algae scrubber. I suggest you do a google search about it & look at a couple pictures to see what they look like & how they work.

If you have a properly working algae scrubber, you will definitely reap the benefits by not having any algae in your tank, & having great water quality due to lower nutrients etc...

Not a lot of guys actually have them anymore as they have been replace (to a certain extent) with Bio-cubes or biopellets & other nutrient removing products... But I believe that if you have the space for one... You will greatly benefit from it. @Adee probably has one of the most succesful algae scrubbers in SA & has stunning tanks because of it...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

Thanks Visser :thumbup:

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Or using macro algae in the sump, ike cheato or caulerpa. Cheato is better, although slower growing. Need to run the lights in the sump area then in reverse cycle to the lights in the display.

6. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

So does it matter what type of algae you use?
    (putting aside that some might grow faster and/or use more nutrients I presume)

Thus algae like cheato and caulerpa will in effect help with other "nasties" like hair and bubble? (Algae is algae?)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would run the algae in the sump on a 20 hour cycle, with the 4 hours off during the day

9. Adee

Adee

I ran macro algae in its own cube that was plumbed into my system. Chaeto is the best phosphate stripping additive you can hope to add in from a biological point of view. I was able to keep my phos at 0.00ppm levels even with heavy feeding and lots of fish. keep a mono species of macro, it will def outcompete nutrients from GHA in your display.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2013
  10. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the input.
    Had a look at your system Adee ( Adee's v2 ) as Visser mentioned you. It looks amazing.

11. Adee

Adee

Thanks. v1 was my schooling where I paid lots of school fees. I now have a very basic approach to reefkeeping which suits me quite fine.

Recent Posts