Will 250watt SE globes work in 400watt SE units?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have had some old 400watt metal halide units (single ended) in my garage now for a while. But never used it as I am bloody scared of the electricity bill and heat generation.

I would just like to know if anyone knows whether I would be able to use 250watt single ended MH globes in these units? Are the control/starter gear for 400watt's "down-gradable"? Can one use lower wattage Metal Halide globes in higher wattage control gear?

Many thanks.
Jacques

looks like you gonna have to get another ballast buddy

Depends on what you mean by work? Will it make light? Sure. For how long? That is the question.

Depends on what you mean by work? Will it make light? Sure. For how long? That is the question.

True, these type lamps are used in our BIG Screen Projectors. And we have tried all sorts of combinations.

Higher wattage lamp works well in lower rated power supply, just not as bright as correct rated, but lasts longer.

Lower wattage lamps will work but eventually blow or fuse, before rated life span.

10 years ago we were using MH in projectors, now days the industry uses UHP lamps, same sort of tech. but doesn't have to run at the huge power rating of MH and have 3 to 4 time the life span.

I wonder when we will see this tech. in marines.

Thinking about it, i will investigate the light properties of these UHP, as they will be cheaper to run (electricity usage)

Also has anyone run a Xenon lamp system on their tanks, or is too costly ?

Last edited:
ballasat

Hi everyone. I have had some old 400watt metal halide units (single ended) in my garage now for a while. But never used it as I am bloody scared of the electricity bill and heat generation.

I would just like to know if anyone knows whether I would be able to use 250watt single ended MH globes in these units? Are the control/starter gear for 400watt's "down-gradable"? Can one use lower wattage Metal Halide globes in higher wattage control gear?

Many thanks.
Jacques
Hi freind got 2 x 250 watt ballast make me a offer they are not electronic but they work excellent they come in the clone lumern with a fuse

Back
Top Bottom