Will 10mm safety glass work?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Renannchen, 22 Jul 2009.

1. Renannchen

Renannchen

Hey im wondering if safety glass wil work im thinking of building a 2m x 0,6m x 0,45m tank and want to use 10mm safety glass, will it work?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

will you be using bracing?
    Safety glass, does that contain alot of iron, because if it does you might regret building the tank with that because you will get a slight greent tint to your inhabitants.
    There is some speculation about the effect only occuring from 12mm upwards, but i have 10mm glass sump and i can see a green tint.

4. Tony

Tony

Rennanchen, go for 12mm glass or go to the calculators link on the home page and use the glass thickness calculator

5. Renannchen

Renannchen Thread Starter

I knw i would also rather go for 12mm but i have a load of 10mm safety glass, dont want to use it as a display tank, just as holding tank for stock?

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude my opinion is this, as i have said many mines before Laminated lass is actually weaker than normal float (normal) glass as it will only be as strong as the strength of the thiskest piece(10mm laminate - 2 x 5mm pieces laminated together - total strength is equal to 1 x 5mm piece) not to mention more expensive. 10mm normal glass will be fine for a tank 2.000L x .600W x .450H the biggest i would go in 10mm would be 2.5 x .700 x .700 but have seen bigger and am wary. other factors to consider are the positioning of holes and the overall design.

i hope that helps

7. Renannchen

Renannchen Thread Starter

I have 2x 3m sheets of 10mm safety that i got 4 free, i was just wondering what would be the bigest that i would be able to build?

8. leslie hempel

just spoke to a friend of mine who also deals with Glass, he feels that it will work so long as the water height doesnt exceed the 450 mark. im a little wary but am also inclined to agree that at that height it should be fine. i have built tanks 1.200 x .600 x .600 out of 6mm glass and this is what is making me believe it will work. obviously bracing it well will be a must. i have always been cautions with laminate glass.

9. Tridan

Tridan

I am gonna be a stick in the mud here and say do not even consider using it. Reason i say this is because of expansion and contraction. 2 pieces of glass separated by a layer of clear vinly, one side will be at your tank temp and the other at room temp, so imagine your tank at 26 and room temp at 10 degrees. The glass on the outside is gonna wanna contract and seen that the 2 pieces are laminated together it will have to fight against the other piece of glass causing one to crack. That is my theory, and have not been able to test it. Maybe ask hennie for advice. Good luck.

10. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

I dont think this is the case with laminate glass. I have heard of people using laminate glass as a base. Also the space is so small, there will be heat transfer like a normal pane of glass.

11. Tridan

Tridan

dohn with a base you have external insulation with the sajax used to level the base, yes there will be heat transfer from one pane to the other, but the same will happen with cold transfer.

12. Tridan

Tridan

Sorry, to add the vinly might be thin between the panes but its insulation capabillities are high.

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not to try derail the thread, but is there a reason why all this tank building advise / glass tech is from Slummies members ?

14. Tridan

Tridan

Lol dude with the lack of petshops here that build tanks or have tank builders some of us have just started building, repairing in our spare time.

15. leslie hempel

there are quite a few of us down here thats for sure, i have definatley seen laminate crack one of the outer side panes on more than one occasion but they were on tanks of .700 and deeper (max .900) but built out of 6.38 and 8.38 laminate. the Temp theory is definatley a worthwhile explination especially if there is a sudden temp drop on the outer pane.

im sure this tank woud work with the suggested thickness laminate but as you can see there are many other factors to consider.

Recent Posts