Wild cut to tank breeding.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 10 Dec 2012.

1. pkc

pkc

An area of fluffies I found in 79 along with catching my first semi,this is on a reef a short free dive out from shore and was somewhere I had not been back to since the late eighties.

Now fluffies of the corallimorpharia group or just a discosoma are extremely common in the southeast of Q, some times we see them in patches bigger then my house block.

These ones I found ages ago are sort of special in that they have a nice silver sheen to them in a star shape over a cream to green background, so they are not great but still quite nice.

Two months back we hit the sunshine coast on a collecting trip and before I met up with every one else my wife took the dogs for a walk on the beach and I headed out, mainly for a couple of crays in the deep water next to this reef and it is a bit dangerous for the more inexperienced of us so I went alone.

I got what I wanted and saw them there with the massive leathers as they always were and cut off a section of one, like a piece of pie narrowing to its mouth as we used to do with the propagating of them in the past.

It was just as a bit of mucking around to see if it will propagate from that piece in my tank.
    That was around two months back, at the end of the cray season.

There are 7 mature ones now and around 30 tiny new ones, it seems they do well.

I know corallimorphs are easy to get to multiply I used to breed the red and green ones, but the silver sheen ones out of all this part of Q and I have looked around most of our area, are not so common, one patch only that I have seen of them.

I personally think it’s the high nutrient area they live in that encourages them to take on that sheen.

They will cover my glass floor area that is semi bare due to being me being anti substrate.

The arrow shows the tiny cuties that are in big numbers, so it is going to be every crowded very soon along there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Very interesting and valid observation.... Reminds me of the sheen I used to notice on cespitularias in one specific site in Mauritius, absent from those at other sites. The site with the sheen was often murky and close to a mangrove outlet whereas those found in lagoons were colourful but without the metallic sheen,...

4. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Nature’s intricacies are so abundant and really cool hey.
    I never get bored with the ocean.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
Recent Posts