Wierd Creatures

Reaction score
In the last week ive started noticing very weird "anenome" type things emerging in the tank. They are only a few mm, but seem to be attaching to the glass. they are white and have small tenacles at the top like a miniture anenome. I dont think there aptesia, but best to ask when not sure as they are rapidly appearing. As for pics there to small to take with my camera.

they sound very aptasia like to me, i had hundreds in the durso of my last tank - never in the main tank though??

Could be Aptasia, im not sure. There attaching to the back glass though. If it is aptasia what would be the effective and least headache causing method to remove them?

Do the 'tentacles' seem to stretch right from the base or is there a stem?

Defniatley Aiptasia.Post a pic so we can confirm Storm.

Is the stem hard (made out of Calcium Carbonate) or soft?

This could be a number of things.... tiny fan worms, hydroids, possibly aptaisia (but aptaisia NEVER stays small - and within a few days becomes "adult" - growing to at least 3cm in length when fully stretched out....

A photo will be more than welcome to allow us to make a decent ID.

Well if they reach 3cm in a few days they cant be aptasia, the largest ive seen is about 1cm, and this is weeks now. They are basically just a white ball with some tentacles/fan like things ontop, which point straight upward and dont fall to the sides.

Do i need to worry about them? nvm let me go Google.

---

Yup its Fanworms. I c there like Tubeworms, seems I got off lucky this time round :whistling:

They are in the millions and to small for my camera lolz, they multiply like flies but stay small. But after checking some pics on Google i have white Fanworms. I will try take a pic after work of some of the bigger ones on the rock, they got black white stripped fans/tentacles, also very small but best i can do.

Ah here we go, after some Googling i found a pic that looks almost like it "just on a very bigger scale" to what ive got. They a little different to a Tubeworm, hence the name Fanworm. Anyways heres what they basically look like, mine just have a bit more white then brown in the fans, and the fans arent quite as long.

Fanworm.jpg

Excellent little freebies, water filters for your tank, totally self sufficient too.

Back
Top Bottom