WHY?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wetty, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

Im curious as to why marine fish are so finicky and u gotta be soo careful with them. They come from the ocean...the most diverse and changing environment on earth, so in theory marine fish shud be tougher and hardier than tropical fish...damn near bullet proof. Tropical fish can take much more abuse though.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Witch is the bigger volume of water, the oceans or rivers. River water will change more often than the water in the ocean, so the fish in rivers should be more hardy.

Well that is my theory.:wave2:

4. Wetty

Wetty Thread Starter Rockford Fosgate Fish

didnt think of that angle

5. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

thalion is right, compared to the large geometric volume of the oceans compared to the rivers, pollution becomes more concentrated in the rivers,the ocean does have its fair share but with the great volume of water this pollution will be dilluted, so the fresh water fish evolution has become hardy to with stand such pollution and abuse to their enviroment .........

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The bigger the volume of water the more stable it is.

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Tropical fish can cope with much bigger swings in water conditions, consider rainfalls or droughts can vastly affect the water, but the sea is very slow to change, the sea temp will only vary a few degrees across the year and very slowly too, the very important perameters like calcium, magnesium and a thousand other vital ingredients won't change at all, so that is why we struggle to cope to reproduce the largest living environment on our planet.

8. Wetty

Wetty Thread Starter Rockford Fosgate Fish

spose i cant argue with that logic. Fanx guys ;)

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Not all fresh water fish, i used to breed Discus and believe me the marine fish are far from finicky compared to these fish. Most of us make the mistakes of over feeding and loading the system too quickly, so you have a build up of ammonia until the filtration catches up. Now the higher the PH the more toxic ammonia becomes, the marine systems generally run at far higher pH than a fresh water system, so the slightest amount of ammonia can be toxic in a marine environment.

10. shrimp

shrimp

remember that we (as aquarists) try and replicate the BIG BIG Ocean, if something goes wrong in our "closed systems" the fish cannot just swim to another section of water like they can do in nature .... the very same reason why larger tanks are more stable than smaller tanks ... more volume means more "dilution" ... just my 2c worth !

Recent Posts