Why this brown alge and how to get rid of it

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by nepellew, 27 Mar 2011.

1. nepellew

nepellew

Hey guys ive been struggling with this brown alge and i just caint get my purple alge growing what am i lacking or what else could it be
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Looks like diatoms. How long has the tank been running for?

4. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Its been running since november last year

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

whats all those bubble looking things on the overflow? If you have a new tank then you will get a diatom bloom(brown algae that looks like dirt) and its nothing to worry about. It will eat up the silica in your tank then die out

6. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

They like shell looking things haha um not bubbles what supplments do i need to add to my tank

7. Annoying

Annoying

Diatoms are usually caused by to much phosphates and other nutrients. Do a water test and see what is out of whack. How much flow do you have in your tank? What lighting do you use? Did you add anything new to tank in the last few weeks? What substrate do you use? Do you run a skimmer? Please answer these questions as they could help narrow down the problem.

8. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Hey Annoying Ill do a water test later i have a Lifetech Ap2000 return pump from the sump and a filter in the tank wich came with it juwel 600 tank , i have 1 x Ocean sun 15watt light
    1 x Coral sun 15watt light T8 , ive just added 2 clown fish last week my substrate is coral sand , my 1 x Resun Sk-05 skimmer 4watts if that can answer your questions

9. Annoying

Annoying

What type of filter are you talking about in the Juwel, what materials are in the filter? For how much Liter is the skimmer rated?

10. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Hey the Juwel filter has the carbon sock the white sponge and the blue and green sponges,,,and im not sure what the skimmer is rated at but i do plan on changing it at a later stage

11. Annoying

Annoying

I would say a cause of the diatoms could be of the sponges in the filter, do you clean it every few days. The best would be to take it all out and only use the carbon source, as the rest just traps detritus and the this fuels the diatoms. Also try to take a small power head and blow under the rocks and over them, if a lot of filth starts flying around, then you should either rethink scaping options or try to increase flow to decrease dead spots.

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Are these your first fish? If so, then this is quite normal, as the bio-load of the fish would increase the nutrient levels in the water, and your filtration bacteria are now playing catch-up.

As stated previously, the diatoms will slowly disappear during the next few weeks, and this will then be followed by green hair algae. I agree that the sponge filters are part of your problem, but without knowing more (do you have a deep live sand bed, how much live rock, etc...) I would not recommend that you do anything drastic at the moment.

This will start once your tank has finally stabilised, and your water quality is good - just be patient.

I would not use any additives, except for adding buffer, at this point in time. Check on your alkalinity, and add bicarbonate of soda to keep the alkalinity above 8 dKh.

Hennie

13. Tony

Tony

Diatoms are caused by excess silicates whcih they use to form their skeletons. A GFO of sorts will help with that

Recent Posts