Why so many Problems? - Chats with Paul B

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 10 Jul 2012.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi, a nice topic with Paul B, here is the start, posted with Paul's permission

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

there would be no hobby without the problems, we'd then call ourselves TASA

4. Jayceew

Jayceew

This post about all of the "problems" was fantastic!

Now when we search for "problems" or "fantastic" will find this thread.

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Care to elaborate on that comment?

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I was wondering about that myself :lol:

7. Wes

Wes

i love fixing the problems, it's freaking tough to keep a good system, i have a fnatastic system, it takes a butt load of work. lol

i have a fresh water tank as well, all i do there is clean pumps and add tap water... TASA ;)

8. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

to many of the threads here are all about the same problem, no one likes to search and try what has been said before, there is always a gha, ich thread

9. rakabos

rakabos

New threads are what keep forums alive. Nobody wants to drag up a 60page thread on whitespot to start a new discussion.

Keeps things fresh and active, and generally leads to quicker responses

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  10. dallasg

i disagree, all it does is make this hobby look difficult and laced with problems.
    Rather its up to mods or us to push to have them sticky, even in my sig i have a new member thread to search for issues

i would rather have more threads on other topics

11. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Totally agree..... been wanting to shoot my mouth off about this for a while.......

12. Wes

Wes

why not just have a time limit in terms new members have a new members section, and maybe like an old memnbers section, then when a post is made it is flaged new or old, the new members however can't have an option of posting in the old members section, and then the old members that are helpful can still post to help the new guys out?

13. rakabos

rakabos

So this is the first page of the forum index. I dunno where all the problem threads are... one thread out of fifteen

Why so many Problems? - Chats with Paul...
    My New 1.5m X 1.2m X 650 Ocean...
    DIY LED - JHB Workshop
    PlayStation 3 Rebooted
    Urgent help needed: My Pipe fish's tail is rotting!
    Multibar Angelfish Anyone seen these in...
    New Toys Arrived! ( 1 2)
    Measuring Equipment
    Pellet Reactor advice ( 1 2 3)
    Substrate choices ( 1 2)
    Majano???
    Aiptasia Eating Filefish ( 1 2)
    Hotlips Nano cube ( 1 2 3 4)
    Montis sps tank ( 1 2 3 4)
    Setting up your flow pumps so that your...

14. dallasg

lucky i got a big mouth

i dont want to make it more difficult, but rather get more threads on varied topics.

GHA, ICH, not researching before you buy :beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

That won't work...a "new Member" can join MASA, but have a Tank running 5yrs and a "old Member" could only have his Tank for say 1 year...besides, it sounds very complicated IMHO...:blush:...I personally feel all these "problems" are partially to blame to the lack of "patience" in this Hobby....no one seems to want to do "old school" and everyone wants to Cycle with Bacteria...the "foundation" is already screwed from the word go...IMHO...gone is the time then needed to research you'r selection of fish and the "slow stocking" of you'r Live Stock...small little Info like that, that could help you...gone is the searching of how many fish per Tank blah blah blah...new Technology now helps with Skimmers etc...then problems arrive when power is out, or x4 Skimmers not working, to many Fish that are not suppose to be compatable, in the same Tank...I'm just listing a few which I preceive as "contributing" to the problems...there is a lot more, but somehow I just lost my oomph in typing this as all it will probably do is open an "opinion debate"..with the result that we probably won't get to list the "problems" as not all Bacteria Cycled Tanks have problems..power cuts.. etc...6 of the one...half a dozen of the other one...:(

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, where I work at currently, we do not have any problems. Neither any issues. Just challenges.

Everything is just another challenge.

O my, management just love buzz words... And 3d graphs...

17. Wes

Wes

may be something new for a begginner, also no need to research if there are 60 other forums worldwide that'll give you advice in 5 minutes, one of the purposes of a forum?

18. Wes

Wes

it's a tough situation...

19. Paul B

Paul B

(from RC)
    I sometimes give advice but I have been severly limiting that lately. Too many arguements. I no longer go on ich threads, hair algae or ground probes.
    I am trying hard to stay away from DSBs also.
    Most people don't like my advice anyway, too Geezerly, they sneakily send me PMs if they are interested in something that I may have an idea about.:blush:

I guess people don't search for an answer before they ask something that has been posted hundreds if not thousands of times, things like feeding mandarins, how much to feed a tank, how soon to put in corals, how many fish to a gallon, does my fish have ich? It is covered in spots and breathing hard and twitching? Can I keep seahorses in a one gallon tank?:biggrin:
    What is the best substrait, how much water to change? Does Paris Hilton have a fish tank? etc. ;)
    I just don't feel all of these things are problems but a chance to learn.
    I have a thread on RC I started in 2005 and I don't think there are many problems mentioned. But I forgot most of it so I can't swear to it.
    No, don't go on it to read, it, it is old and forgotten about, even by me. :thumbup:

20. Paul B

Paul B

(From RC)
    Quote:
    "So I try to only give experienced advice"

I do also which is why I don't go on ground probe threads any more. I consider myself experienced on ground probes being I was a master construction electrician in Manhattan for 40 years and have grounded everything from antenna's on the top of the Empire State Building to little gold fish ponds and many fountains, waterfalls and pools in buildings.
    So I figure I know a little about grounds but you get so many stupid arguements that I just opt out now.
    GFCI's also or as we call them in the trade GFIs. When the things were invented I had to go to school for them by the first company that sold them so I also have some experience there. I installed thousands of them. But again, too many arguements so I just let people duke it out and hope no one gets electricuted.
    I am "not" real good about dosing or mixing chemicals so I don't go there. I know what I do and I know what works for me but I let the "experts" get into that. (I also don't dose anything but calcium)
    I think in the fifty plus years I have kept every fish that has ever been sold and If I have had luck with a particular fish I will give advice about it. Not if I have only had one of that type of fish, but many. Then someone who started in the hobby on tuesday will argue that their mandarin looks great after 3 days and he feeds it spaghetti or that their 3 week old bubble coral looks so good because his whale oil lamps provide just the right spectrum or that a moorish Idol is such an easy fish because he has one for a month and he even eats cardboard. They all eat cardboard, but I won't tell him that.
    I love this stuff.

21. Paul B

Paul B

Right now my clam is up side down and laying on a SPS frag, the urchin re arranges things like that. I am sitting 6' from the tank but don't want to stick my hands in there right now so that clam will have to be patient for a while. There are also some long stalks of hair algae hanging on some gorgonians but I told them the same thing I told to the clam, be patient, I will get to it. One large gorgonian is laying across the baby brine shrimp feeder and the mandarins and scooter bleeny are scratching curses on the inside of the glass with arrows pointing at me because they can't get to the feeder. I am bigger than them so they don't scare me.
    A giant mushroom is growing over some small acropora frags but they are glued in and I don't feel like breaking them off. There are others that will grow just fine, survival of the fittest.

A little while ago I was watching a large bristle worm in my surface skimmer (that feeds my protein skimmer) I knew he was going to crawl into the protein skimmer inlet and clog up the pump. Yep, thats where he is and the thing just about stopped. I will let him think about his actions until tonight so he learns not to go in there again.
    When I open the thing up I am sure it will also be full of those little brittle stars, they also need a lesson.
    These things are not problems, nothing about a fish hobby is a problem as long as nothing is leaking, that is a problem especially if you are married, if you are not married just put a bucket under it and go out for a beer.
    I don't spend time peering at the fish looking for paracites, there will be none.
    When I was in Viet Nam it was a court martial offence if you got malaria.
    My fish know the consequences if they get a paracite, so they never get any.
    I have a picture of a toilet bowl suspended over the tank just to remind them where their next stop is if they are not careful.

I tested the nitrates today. I almost never do that but someone gave me a test kit so I feel bad about not using it. I am a little bored today because our daughter is due (yesterday actually) to have a baby so we didn't go out on the boat today expecting to go to the hospital. I will have to go to a LFS after this just because I can, then the owner can tell me al the problems he has.

Look at all the hair algae I had in the tank in this picture. I don't remember how old that picture is but it can't be over 18 years old as I still have that fire clown. I didn't see this as a problem, I just figured I was a really good horticulturest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
Recent Posts