Why Opentop tanks

highlander

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I was just wondering why most people dont put a glass cover on the top of their tank to prevent evaporation? Is it to increase oxygenation of water?

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Exposure to oxygen rich air helps in oxygenating the water yes,
However evaporation is extremely important from a heat transfer perspective, an open top will negate or delay the need for a chiller.
Putting glass over the top would also diffuse some of your light ... reducing light penetration!

OCELLARIS

Chromis
Reaction score
due to the density of saltwater the O2 levels contained in it is way less than fresh water, so the more aeration the better, does anyone know a method of introducing O2 into your saltwater besides airstones

crispin

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
So your TILE Fish dont live up to their names!

and they NOT the only jumpers! In my very limited opinion i'd leave it open if i had a canopy(open at the back) else close it off with covers...and leave evaporation to the sump:)

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Ocellaris, skimmers are very effective at oxygenating the water...

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
I was just wondering why most people dont put a glass cover on the top of their tank to prevent evaporation? Is it to increase oxygenation of water?
IMO, the biggest problem is your lighting. I have to consistently clean my glass crossbraces because of salt build up. The salt stops maximum light penetration. I can only imagination the mission of having to remove one or many pieces of glass every week for cleaning purposes.

I have seen tanks with sliding glass covers but way to much work keeping it clean.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, open top is better. Cleaning sliding covers is gagga :p
Better for light, better for evaporation, not better for flying fish :whistling:

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Egg crate you cover it with egg crate?