Why is SPS Corals the hardest to keep?

Reaction score
I am new here here so please be patient with me. After a lot of reading it seems that SPS corals are the most diffucult to keep. Why? Please explain.

I would not classify them as the most difficult to keep. It depends on the species and some are just as hardy and easy to keep as soft corals. They require very good water quality or they will lose their colour, but you should always strive for good water quality even with so called easy to keep corals. Light is most probably the biggest factor as many of them require high light to keep their colour. Nice random flow is also recommended but they can do well without it contrary to popular belief. In low flow they just tend to grow thinner branches in my experience.

Reactions: JS
There is nothing difficult about keeping SPS.

Strong lighting, good flow and and a big skimmer is the key.

High nutrient import and high nutrient export is a must. Water too dirty will make your SPS brown. Too clean water will make your SPS go pale, bleach and eventually die.

The key to water quality is stability.
Ca 380-420
Alk 6.5-8.5 DKh
Sg 1.024 - 1.026

Now by following the above water parameters, it does not mean that you should let your alk fluctuate from 6.5-8.5 dkh, it means choosing a number in that range and holding it there.
You cannot allow for the parameter to swing. Ideally to keep these parameters stable, a Carx or dosing system should be used so that dosages are constant and not a sudden daily dump of Ca and Alk which will cause parameters to fluctuate.

Remember SPS does not only stand for "Small Polyp Stoney" but also "Stability Promotes Success"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom