Why is SA reef tanks so dull?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 9 Oct 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey guys...

Looking again at the stunning TOTM for Oct 09 I again sat in awe to see the colors that the guys have in other countries. (PS- nice tank by the way :thumbup:)

Why do you think they have such nice color available, where we in SA sit with the basic browns and greens... :p Yes I know that there are the exception to this rule, and mostly when it comes to SPS color, but in general, it seems that our SA tanks are absolutely nailed by the overseas reefers. Ours look like the Kalahari vs. thier which looks Puket in Thailand...

Do they maybe have a bigger variaty of color coral available to them?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pugsly

Pugsly

wondering exactly the same thing on this after seeing TOTM today - why is this

4. Sentari

Sentari

Money? Time? Patience?

5. FransSny

FransSny

Limited choice and or access to the same products, variety etc?

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

due to the size of the hobby, they get first choice from suppliers etc and we get the left overs...

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I agree with Frans, I think its more of the fact that they get better variety of corals over there than we do here. You just have to look at the zoas that they have as apposed to the ones we get. Here Acans, chalices etc are rare and we jump at the chance just to get a dull coloured one..where as overseas they get these in abundance and in many different varieties.

I think it also all comes down to MONEY. We could probably get SOME of the stuff they do, but our LFS dont order them because of the price to bring them in. I doubt the average reefer is going to spend that kind of money on a coral...some of us would (myself included) but I dont think its feasable for them to bring them in for one or two ppl.

Just my thoughts :)

8. jean19

jean19

i think we've got better choice and price on livestock and materiel. and perhaps reef keeping is been going on for much longer over here .
    just in france there is a big difference between north and south of the country , but with the weeb it's getting better .

9. Adee

Adee

I just thought it was my crappy photography skills? :p

10. davidfr7

davidfr7

what do i sponsors have to say ?

Mudshark has good colour i noticed a view guys look pretty good too

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

This is 110% correct...we are a 3de world countrey and they send us all the corals that is left over...the suppliers send all the pretty corals to their big clients like some shops in us and then we have last pick...so as the hobby grow and we can import more and become bigger importers thenj we will be able to get first pics.

Guys in Hong Kong and Us order up to 15-30 boxes where we order per shop min 4 and max 15 :whistling:

12. davidfr7

davidfr7

Lanzo what are you saying We got to spend more at your place :thumbup::thumbup:

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Let's give credit where credit is due. Sunny's tank looks bright and colourful because of the colours that he's able to achieve in his SPS's, coupled with crystal clear water and great lighting. He does have some bright LPS that we may not have access to, but the overall impact is thanks to his attention to detail.

14. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

:biggrin: that can work too

If the hobby in SA grows then we will become big clients for coral farmers...thus getting first choice too.

Exp: S.A order 30 boxes of coral, U.S order 60 boxes a day later....the coral farmer would rather give the better corals to the guy that purchase more stock...thus making him come back for more...then all the corals that are left we will get...they dont tell us this but....i have ordered a couple of stunning corals and got green sp. instead...and still paying the expensive price for it:(

15. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

ditto...that is a really stunning tank.:thumbup:

16. dallasg

i agreee Mudshark, its also about the TLC given

Broder likes this.
  17. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

I think you`ve been looking at the wrong tanks Jaco, lots of colour around depends where you look.

18. crispin

crispin

i tend to disagree to be honest. Ive travelled a fair bit and seen quite afew tanks in person and i think that SA has some great tanks with some stunning colour variations. but it comes down to the care and experience a reefer puts in, i cant recall how many years sunnyx has under his belt but i am pretty sure its over 15 years. that shows in his corals and in his tank, good equipment and good husbandry.

i'm inclined to think that SA has some tanks that rival anything on an international stage and the acess to more unusual LS is increasing all the time

19. crispin

crispin

i must confess i had some of your table tops in mind when i posted my last post :)

20. dallasg

having seen yours i can agree, plenty of great tanks around :)

21. SunnyX

SunnyX "Simplicity is genius"

Its funny, but we here in the USA look at European tanks(especially Italy and Poland) and say the same thing. :p While my older system looked good and had good colors, It wasn't until I adopted European reefing principle that my corals achieved such excellent coloration. My old setup ran the standaed US model of "more is better" with 400watt Metal Halides, large return pumps, CA reactors, and just about every other excess you could find.

When setting up my current tank I decided that I would take the best of the European systems and implement them. I switched over from high wattage MH's to low wattage T5, High power return pumps to a low power Ehiem, and I ditched the Kalk stirrer and CA reactor for a simple two part dosing system. Another key to the success of this reef is the use of probiotics. The dosing of bacteria and a carbon source(Vodka) have done wonders for my setup. The water clarity of a probiotic system is unmatched, its almost as if the fish are suspended in mid-air.

I dont know what sort of corals and selection you have down there, but here we have a good selection at great prices. Many of the corals I have purchased are from local reefers and not from stores as I do not like wild corals.

Other then a few acan's and LPS, all SPS in my tank were from established tanks here and not from the wild. I believe that this is the biggest reason for the color difference and selection of corals. Think about it, the corals in our tank in the USA have already been through at least 10-15 reef tanks by the time they reach mine. Through natural selection the best and brightest corals are the only ones that reach my tank.I have had a couple wild corals that never did anything for me. They either stayed brown or refused to grow. Any brown or unhealthy corals remain in someone else system or simply die off. The corals with the best growth rates and colors are fragged more often and sold to the wider public. This more then anything is why some communities have better corals then others.

Recent Posts